T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Infusing Booze
  • A thread for discussing the soaking of things in booze to make EVEN BETTER booze.

I am currently infusing some Jim Beam with about 15 gala apples, a cup of sugar in the raw, a dozen cinnamon sticks, and several tablespoons of vanilla bean paste. It’s super delicious and potable already, but here’s my question:

About 8 hours after I added the apples, they soaked up a bunch of bourbon and the level of liquid in the jar decreased notably. What should I do with these booze-soaked apples when I’m done? I’ll get drunk eating them before I discard them. But should I pass them through a food ricer and re-incorporate the liquid they give up? Or should I bake them into a pie? Or saute them with some brown sugar and eat them over ice cream?

Anybody got the heads up on what feels the most scientifically sound/appropriate? Or the most delicious? All suggestions welcome.

• All those things would be super good. I’d probably just eat ‘em and cut out the middle man.

• You could probably press them through a tamis and get a liquid that’s part booze and part apple juice, then reduce that a bit until you a have a boozy appley syrup you can use for cocktails/desserts.

One of my favorites is chopping up a bundle of lemongrass and soaking it in modest white tequila for a few weeks. It turns a lovely rose color and tastes a bit like candy.

• Josh on point.

Are the apples in there whole, or halved, or sliced, or what? My immediate reaction is to save them as garnish for the drinkin’ of your infused Beam, if possible. A Manhattan with that infused Beam, with an apple slice instead of a cherry would be swag as fuck.

• Blucas said:

Are the apples in there whole, or halved, or sliced, or what? My immediate reaction is to save them as garnish for the drinkin’ of your infused Beam, if possible. A Manhattan with that infused Beam, with an apple slice instead of a cherry would be swag as fuck.

Oh man, do the shit out of this. Bring home that date and throw one of these in front of her and let the swooning begin.

• You know, you all make good points. They are cut up apples, and there are like 12-15 apples worth of apples in there. I should do some of ALL of these things. If I save ‘em in a jar for garnish, should I just save them in some of the reserved Beam? Probably.

A lot of this is going to be given away for Christmas, but if it’s as good as I think it’s going to be, I’m making another batch soon.

• Holy shit, guys. I just ate one of the apple slices.

Guys I’m about to get drunk on apple slices.

• Oh, it’s on.

• RoyBiggins said: Holy shit, guys. I just ate one of the apple slices.

Guys I’m about to get drunk on apple slices.

Like.

• Pleased with this development.

• Getting drunk off of apples sounds fantastic. Want.

Also, a friend of mine writes a blog about his experiments with infusing spirits. He mostly uses vodka and other clear booze, but he’s infused all sorts of stuff into it: http://dazedandinfused.wordpress.com/

• There’s a Beverly Cleary book where pigs get drunk on apples! In fact, that may have been how I first learned that fruit ferments into alcohol.

• This is the good shit, and makes a Paloma that will blow your face off with delicious.

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/amante.html

• O hai gize. Two kinds of coffee liqueur, ‘bout to get tasted after at their 24 hour mark. Both are made from vanilla paste, turbinado simple syrup, and cold-brewed intelligensia house blend. One is boozed up with 4 ounces of high caliber Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey From a Jar, and the other one is from Bacardi light rum, which the company’s logo suggests is distilled from bats.

• Oh my God, AK, I just read that link. O_o. Think it’s still worth doing with strawberries this late in the season? That corn whiskey was purchased so I could make some juleps with mint, macerated strawberries, and the like. Fucking great, but that sounds…God, that sounds amazing.