T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
hurricane thread
  • lest we forget, both jumping jack flash and jokerman were born in hurricanes. are you pregnant, brad?

• I just wanna move on Tuesday and Wednesday, as planned. (Well, that’s what I want for ME, what I want for everyone is for no more people to get hurt by a bad storm!)

• We made so much food today. Our power will surely go out, given that usually goes out in regular storms, it’s just a question of how long. So we made a ton of stuff that can be eaten without heating, and that won’t go bad right away once the fridge turns off.

Stay safe everybody!

• Stay safe everyone!

• my roommates bought a lot of canned food and bottled water and i bought bulleit rye

• hurricanes are a part of the process of knowing yourself

• Oh crap, I was supposed to have food? I have Diet Coke, water, and cigarettes.

• Actually, no, I still have some of the kohlrabi I was carrying on about in the food thread left. I will live on kohlrabi.

• brad i love you

• We boiled most of a huge bag of ravioli, made some other noodles with sauce and some other junk in them, made a million pumpkin pecan pancakes to use up our eggs, plus we have leftover pizza and half a huge calzone. I’m baking three croissants we had in the freezer. Even if nothing happens, we’ll still be fed for days. (I can’t stop eating because of needing to feed the baby, and will crumble into a weeping pile if I go like six hours without eating, except overnight)

• Pumpkin pecan pancakes sound like a really, really good idea.

Fenster household hurricane preparation has included:
    Getting afternoon tipsy
    Nodding approvingly at the 20 full bottles of wine on the kitchen floor
    Adding a liter of gin to the freezer
    Cold brewing a big thing of coffee
    Stocking up on Nutella, crackers, water, granola bars, apples, and cookies
    Making sure the storm playlist contains “Rain King”
    Eating most of the cookies
    Making brownies

I’m feeling so pleased about not having to go to work tomorrow that I might clean the fucking bath tub next! Party!

• Oh yeah I made a half gallon of coffee, too. I’d say I don’t fuck around, but it’s decaf. We bought apples, bananas, avocadoes, cereal, granola bars etc. Food is my favorite.

• Is it hitting tomorrow? Be safe, y’all!

• Live wind speed map of the US.

It sounds like landfall should be late Monday/early Tuesday. (So maybe 25 hours from now).

• Dammit I wish there were a map like that for New Zealand, that’s neat.

• That map is awesome!

Also, I found an unopened box of Cheddar Bunnies so now I feel like I’m well prepared.

• Hugo is losing his shit watching stuff getting blown around in the wind. Cats are great.

• JimTheBeerGuy said: brad i love you

• I should note that though landfall isn’t for some time the mid Atlantic coast is getting soaked right now. And our forecast for tomorrow is rain and 30 mph winds all day.

• EmJ said: Also, I found an unopened box of Cheddar Bunnies so now I feel like I’m well prepared.

Em, if you can throw some of those in this direction I’ll toss back some of the brownies I just made.

• We were late to the store, so our food choices were…limited. Our plans revolved less around food and more around having enough light sources to play board games if the power goes out. Now all I want is brownies, though!

• A+ and stay safe to all in this thrad. I also love Bard.

• Stay safe and dry East coast people!

• (Dry in the literal sense, please stay tipsy if you so desire)

• mccabe that wind map! I will use it every day probably! Be safe all you northern people!

if you hear something that sounds like a train hunker down!

• Stay safe folks!

• Wow, thinking of you all from a long way away and getting worried. (I’m a mother, what can I say? I worry)

• Make sure you have lots of water! I will be sending out lots of positive thoughts!

• I’m worried I didn’t buy quite enough food, but we do have a ton of water. I suppose there’s always baby food. And after that’s gone, the baby.

• Gonna see if I can get in a run before the wind starts throwing my whole body around!

• Just overcast and drizzley in Atlantic Canada so far. I am going to go out for candles, water and snacks later, in case we lose power.

Were any of you guys in that ice storm that hit new england in the late 90’s (the internet tells me it was 1998)? At my parents place we lost power for two weeks. They have a woodstove, so we didn’t freeze to death, but that was bonklers.

• So of course the movers cancelled on me, can’t blame them, and they can’t reschedule until next weekend. But someone new is moving into my apartment before then!

• It looks like landfall is in Delaware now, so we might be spared from the 80mph winds tonight. We’ll see!

• mc, where do you live again? hadn’t realized you’re east coast too

• Found new, braver (stupider?) movers!

• good luck with your move!

i’m working from home!

drank!

• Clayton_Peacock said: mc, where do you live again? hadn’t realized you’re east coast too

I live in west-central NJ, about two miles from the Delaware River (out of the flood zone!)

• Also the wind is starting to pick up and look scary in our trees

• I’m going to start on the wine and try to get cookies made before any possible power outages happen.

Having an alley-facing apartment on a low floor makes it really hard to tell what’s happening outside.

We’ve got the hurricane playlist on and a news station muted on the television. Today presents a high likelihood of my Absolute Favorite Thing: newscasters falling down!

• ausdemfenster said:

We’ve got the hurricane playlist on and a news station muted on the television. Today presents a high likelihood of my Absolute Favorite Thing: newscasters falling down!

Tempted to write a full set of alternative lyrics to “My Favorite Things” just to sneak that one in.

• Clayton_Peacock said: Tempted to write a full set of alternative lyrics to “My Favorite Things” just to sneak that one in.

Doooo itttttt.

Also count so far is two downed newscasters and one having a coughing fit in front of the weather map. A promising start!

• Landfall is now expected to be in an hour or so in southern NJ (South of Atlantic City). We are still getting strong winds and big waves. They may still take down our power.

My work finally said we were off today and tomorrow late this morning.

• well there’s a leak in my ceiling, hope that works itself out

• I’m sure it’ll take care of itself.

• Leaks need to breathe.

• Yeah, should be fine, just don’t let it get in the Bulleit.