T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

I want to find prints of manuscripts
  • My friends,

As many of you know I have a real fondness for written manuscripts, of all stripes: Nag Hammadi Semicursive Chinese Cursive

And it often occurs to me that I’d like to have some of these sorts of things hanging on my walls. But it’s devilishly hard to find purchasable prints suitable for framing. Pretty much anything I find in that vein is either very famous documents like Magna Carta or more commonly illustrations rather than writing.

My question for you is, do you have any suggestions as to where one might find prints of that kind of thing? And failing that, how would one go about having a print made affordably?

• as far as i know, the cost involved with getting a print made - either offset or screened is going to be mostly in set-up. if you’re not printing a thousand of them, that initial cost is going to be a lot more significant compared to the actual cost of the poster. i share a building at work with dudes that do both, but i’d have to ask about their actual rates.

that being said, i think if you got a screen burned (in la, the cheapest places were in koreatown) and found a good print shop to pull a print for you on some nice paper, it would look pretty amazing.

i don’t think it’s the sort of thing that you’d want spit out of a giant ink jet onto a piece of posterboard.

maybe you just found yourself an etsy business.

• There’s a flourishing niche business of facsimiles of various manuscripts, especially heavily illustrated ones (but with no shortage of text), but I don’t know about prints from them, sorry.

• I guess I’m not sure what level of quality you’re looking for, but you might want to reach out to some archival repositories. A lot of repositories have high-quality TIFF images of the documents they have digitized, and are willing to make decent prints or send electronic versions for a fee, which is not usually too much. Some places will also digitize items for you if you want a copy of a specific document. If you can get the electronic TIFF version to get printed yourself (or if they have the capability of printing in high quality), this might be the way to go. Are you looking for any specific types of documents? Any specific languages? Any time period? Physical material? Coloring?