T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
I am getting old
  • renewed my drivers license yesterday—it expired months ago but I didn’t realize it for a while, finally took a day off work yesterday and decided to take care of it.

I just barely passed the vision test. I’ve never worn glasses in my life but I can almost guarantee that by the next time I need to renew my license—which isn’t for another 4 years, ok, not bad—I will have to wear glasses to drive.

so OK I’ll get glasses, whatever, I guess I should probably do that, I’ve had 42 years without them, but ugh.

• I fear such a day

• Been representing how awesome glasses are for 23 years.

• Glasses make me look intellectual and learned.

• There’s nothing wrong with glasses, I just don’t want to have to start going to eye doctors and having another thing about my person that I have to keep track of and also my head is very large and I will look stupid with glasses on.

• I guess it was inevitable, my parents always had glasses, my brother & sister have always worn glasses, 2 of my kids have had glasses for years. I just need to suck it up and get it done. but seriously fuck an eye doctor.

• When I was 12 and first got glasses I was like “Ugh” and then after awhile I was like, “Yeah, I guess I like these alright,” but then the last couple years I was back to “Ugh” and so I got laserblasted in the face and now I don’t need glasses anymore and I’m all “Fuck yeah!”

• Josh I feel like you are also a dude who knows the bane of bigheadedness, am I off base here? Has having a mammoth skull caused you glasses-related issues?

• I didn’t start wearing glasses until I was 29 and in the dozen or so years since then I have never got used to the feeling of having them on. So I just wear them when I have to - watching football and sometimes at work. But when they are on, I fiddle with them constantly, taking them off and playing with them all the time.

• JimTheBeerGuy said: Josh I feel like you are also a dude who knows the bane of bigheadedness, am I off base here? Has having a mammoth skull caused you glasses-related issues?

Yeah, I’ve got a big ol’ noggin. It didn’t ever seem to cause issues, the hinges on the frames were always flexible enough to open up for my head. Sometimes they felt a bit tight when they were brand new, but they sort of stretched to match my head after a little while. I honestly preferred having them feel tight because I was always nervous about them flying off when doing anything but sitting still.

• Kids working in grocery stores and restaurants and stuff have started calling me ma’am.

Edit: to continue the conversation about glasses — I’ve needed them since I was 10, and they are annoying so I almost always wear contacts, though I do like the way glasses look. Seriously though I want them gone from my life. Jim, you’d probably look much better in glasses than you think you would; you’d just need to find the right pair of frames.

• Same thing happened to me last time I renewed my license, and I’m a good deal younger than you Jim. So you’re either not old or really old.

I have glasses, and I used to wear them regularly while driving, but a while ago I dropped them under the car seat and couldn’t find them, so I just stopped wearing them. Haven’t noticed any difference. I have astigmatism so wearing glasses makes everything look all slanty.

• if you lived in arizona and didn’t have to renew your license until you’re 64 you never would have known!

also c, i think you should find your glasses.

• Man, I had a trainee with an Arizona driver’s license once, and I couldn’t believe how long they got to go without renewing! That’s just insane!

• Here’s the glasses thing.

You get to have annual plastic surgery for +-100 dollars. I NEED my glasses. I literally do not open my eyes in the morning without them. I reach over and pull them on as rote. Right now I have a pair I’ve grown to love, but next month I get a new pair, and my FACE will look entirely different. It’s exciting!

The downside of my eyes being awful is that I need surgery to replace my cornea in my left eye. This is a fact that I have been ignoring for about 3 years, but in my new role as an insured member of a monied society, I suppose I’ll have to reticently have to take advantage.

My doctor informed me that what would happen if I did not seek a surgical cure for my condition is that my eye would “ooze out”. Jeez!

• Other than physical disintegration, getting old is even more awesome than I always suspected it would be. Hands down, black boots and a cashmere sweater beat a lace minidress and torture heels for personal comfort. Priorities are different now. Also, I can afford way better seats and venues now and That Key Artist of My Youth no longer has to play places called things like The Smell (most aptly-named club in all of LA). Acid reflux seems like a small price to pay for such wonders.

• I’m coming up on carousel/renewal fellas

• Glasses are OK, but I wear my contacts most of the time, as I get much better correction with them. I’ve been wearing glasses since 1977. The bloke (as you will recall) shares your bigheadedness Jim, and finding glasses that fit and look good on him can be a challenge. His reading glasses are quite good (subtle, silver frames), but his distance ones are really daggy. he went with the Buddy Holly style black frames, and I don’t thin they suit him at all. He refuses to listen to me :-)

James Schneider, my ophthalmologist once threatened me with the kind of thing you’ve experienced, but luckily my eyes stopped changing so fast. Blind as a bat though.

• ferguson said: Also, I can afford way better seats and venues now

I wish this was true for me. I used to have cash to splash but now every penny is accounted for.

• jamesschneider said: The downside of my eyes being awful is that I need surgery to replace my cornea in my left eye. This is a fact that I have been ignoring for about 3 years, but in my new role as an insured member of a monied society, I suppose I’ll have to reticently have to take advantage.

My doctor informed me that what would happen if I did not seek a surgical cure for my condition is that my eye would “ooze out”. Jeez!

Whoa, dude, what is that all about? I’ve never heard of anything like that. How do they even replace a cornea? Some sort of prosthetic?

I have glasses and hate wearing them. I used to wear contacts, but now, since I got a stronger prescription, they bother my eyes too much. My vision’s getting so bad though, that I’m going to have to start wearing the glasses. I can’t recognize people in the school hallways or at Walmart, so I just try never to look at anyone, but that’s probably not the best solution.

I can’t remember if I’ve said anything about it here, but I found out a few months ago that I have glaucoma. I think this is borderline bizarre in someone my age (28). I really don’t know what the long-term prognosis is. Can’t really get a straight answer from the docs, which is probably a bad sign. Perhaps surprisingly, I’m not at all stressed over it. I take the drops, and I forget about it. When it’s a struggle to get through the day on a daily basis, I guess everything else, especially long-term stuff, just fades from your mind.