T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
I hereby resolve….
  • I ventured back into the wilds of LPTJ to dredge up last year’s resolutions thread. Here you go: http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,13338.msg768152.html

Mine were:

Make a lot of little shorts, like the ones I did in Russia.

Sort of!

Swim.

Sort of! I also played basketball. But things kind of trickled to a halt the last two months of the year.

Translate Russian articles regularly.

Sort of!

Save money.

Sort of!

Get more involved with union stuff.

Sort of!

Watch movies.

This I did. My final tally for 2012 came in around 240 feature-length films, plus lots of shorts.

Be less anxious.

Not at all!

And onwards to 2013, in which I hope to: 1) swim; 2) make movies; 3) watch movies; 4) write a chapter or two of my dissertation; 5) work on getting an article published; 6) translate Russian; 7) save money. Hmm.

• I didn’t do a resolution last year (or at least I didn’t publish it to the Eternal Record). This year I am going to be more successful at getting in to my yoga hut. I am setting the success threshold at 200 yogings for the year. I don’t know if I’m going to do the actual measuring that would be required to determine if I actually meet this goal, though.

• Re-join gym, get back into (better) shape

I did this! And am continuing to do this.

Meditate every day

At first

Practice mindfulness

Trying

Cut down on internet usage

Surprisingly, yes! Though I could still do some more work on this front

Finish the comic I started making like two years ago

No :(

Write more

Nope :(

Read more

Yes!

Eat better

Getting there!

Stay posi

Doing my best!

Not so bad, really. I also got way better with money, though I’m not quite where I need to be just yet.

This year, I resolve to:

Draw more! I used to draw every day. I’d like to do that again. I’d like to start making comics on the regular.

Write more! Try to finish up a couple of those stories that have been sitting around unfinished, collecting dust.

Get a job I don’t hate! Please.

Not go crazy once I’m back in school. I feel like this one might be tough.

Be a good husband!

Adopt a dog!

Return to a daily meditation practice and find a sangha.

Okay!

• get into a meditation routine

clean out back porch

love m’self

• Quote from: clare on Dec 30, 2011, 04:52:48 AM

So, for this year - exercise. A friend gave me a 30 day free gym pass which has to > be activated by 31st of Jan, and will let me see how E copes with the childcare at the gym. If he goes OK I plan to go to 2-3 classes a week. I also got my bike good > to go again, and I need to get the trailer fixed so that I can ride with E, and we can > all go on our bikes together. Seriously considering some counselling/parenting courses to get me back on track with my boys this year. It’s going badly, and I’d like it to be better.

Well, I got the exercise thing going well in ‘12 for the first half anyway. I went back to work in May and that put a spaniard in the works for quite a while. I started running, which has been really interesting. E liked the childcare at the gym, so I could go a lot before I went back to work. I ended up outsourcing a lot of my parenting when I went back to work. E was in childcare 4 days a week, and that really helped a lot actually - it meant that we weren’t at each other’s throats all day, so that was a good result. Still not drinking enough Scotch, and having a gall stone makes it hard to do more of that.

This year - I want to get back an exercise routine, which I think is possible: run at least Sunday and Wednesday mornings, gym on Friday. I want to keep off the weight I’ve lost. I’d like to figure out how to have a holiday this year, I failed at that in ‘12, and worked over Christmas/New Year.

• I guess the 2012 goals are, uh
    Don’t kill anyone over pre-baby bullshit
    Do not drop baby
    Quit job, do art

I didn’t kill anybody over pre-baby stuff, and haven’t really yelled at anyone over actual baby bullshit either. I get annoyed at our parents sometimes (weekly), but try to let it roll off. Only did some small lectures (you can’t put her pacifier in your mouth! You can’t wipe her butt that way!)
    Haven’t dropped baby. Bonked her head on a doorframe once. That was sad. I’m letting her fall over on her own a lot though.
    I did quit my job. Didn’t do too much art though, because baby.
    Unlisted: I completed the reading goal I set on goodreads (60 books).

For 2013..
    Continue not dropping the baby, by which I mean continue trying to be the best parent I can
    Try not to snap at anybody over the baby (‘anybody’ pretty much just means our parents)
    MAKE THINGS, time is getting more available! Finish UFOs! Apply to shows!
    Keep going to the gym at least 3x/week
    Go to the new yoga studio at least 2x/mo
    Reading goal is only two books per month, I think.

• write more

i guess i did that, but not really in a totally satisfying way. productivity fell off at the end of the year. my actual resolution this year is to learn how to cook a bunch of different meals

• jeb said:

hey there jeb!
    i don’t know what type of practice you’re engaging, or what type of sangha you’re looking for, but i’ve met a number of people from the milwaukee shambhala center who are really great, so check it out!
    http://milwaukee.shambhala.org/
    there’s also a shambhala retreat center in south (i think) wisconsin, if that’s something you’d like to do:
    http://windhorse.shambhala.org/

good luck everyone with your resolutions! happy new year!

• I guess I’m going to try to do more exercise? Swimming would be key I think, probably some running. I don’t know, I’m pretty great already so I don’t really want to change too much.

Kind of dropped the ball on that & got really fat instead

• oh that was 2 years ago let me see if I can find one from last year

• fuck, I dunno, brew more beer I guess?

Nailed it!

• Oh my lord Clare, ‘spaniard in the works’ is the best phrase

Me of 2011, resolving things:

Organise more Occupyesque protests, help everyone in trying to stop state asset sales

Sort of. I went to the biggest protest of my life, about asset sales, so yey!

Write more

Way more! and I improved! and people noticed!

Move somewhere less hectic

It took two tries but yes

Meet new people/Freaking quit worrying about wanting to meet new people/have people

A few/sort of

Recover my self-esteem

Done! more or less

Sort out romantic/general interpersonal problems much more efficiently when they arise

Not much idea what I was on about here…I think so? Oh well not so much actually, but I stopped caring about it anyway.

Play music with people

Not really

Save money and make serious travel plans

Ergh

Watch more films

Hardly

Hey cool, I achieved all the important things! Which I had kinda forgotten I’d resolved. Mostly I wanted to stop anxiously disliking myself, with overall success. I also got over some troublesome romantic problems, though one is still a little up in the air, and recently have started hanging out again with someone who I used to complain to LPTJ about circa 2008 cos he unknowingly broke my heart terribly. Which so far is Awesome.

This year I want to get involved in climate activism and do free love related stuff more, and maybe leave the country. Easyish things. Cbf thinking of personality renovations atm, it’s mostly pretty alright in here. I should probably live less of my life on the internet.

• I appreciate Jim’s three-post string up there.

• fitzhugh said:

jeb said:

hey there jeb!
    i don’t know what type of practice you’re engaging, or what type of sangha you’re looking for, but i’ve met a number of people from the milwaukee shambhala center who are really great, so check it out!
    http://milwaukee.shambhala.org/
    there’s also a shambhala retreat center in south (i think) wisconsin, if that’s something you’d like to do:
    http://windhorse.shambhala.org/

good luck everyone with your resolutions! happy new year!

Thanks! I have a couple of friends who got to the Shambhala Center and like it quite a bit. I’ve been hesitant because I’m not really interested in Mahayana teachings so much, but then again, it sounds like most of what goes on is just people meditating together, and I can get behind that.

I’ve been to the Mindfulness Practice Center, which I like, and I keep meaning to return to.

• get the fuck out of here

that’s all I got. My projections into the future are very short term

• my mom’s new years resolution is to enjoy everything. I like that one.

• i think my new years resolution will to be to budget grocery money better. i think i can spend a lot less on food and still eat well. i also want to audit a poetry class / get more involved in universities outside my own. and knit things.

none of these things happened, unless you count eating more take out as spending less on groceries.

later in the thread i said i was gonna move to roncesvalles, and i did! and its great! my grocery habits did change because of the neighbourhood, which is also great (instead of going to a big grocery store now i go to a health food store and get lentils and quinoa and things, then i go to a fruit and veg store and spend a fortune on cheap fruit and vegetables).

this year i want to read more books and volunteer more and eat less take out.

1. Eat all the special rolls at Aru Sushi.
    2. Try all the flavors of vegan soft-serve (2/month) at Kyotofu.
    3. Go on 50+ walks of 30 minutes or more.
    4. Try out a gym and/or yoga.
    5. 10+ visits to The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
    6. 8+ visits to other museums including Park Avenue Armory, PS1, the Guggenheim and MoMA.
    7. Swim in an ocean.

The first two are building on 2012 where Tiffany and I tried all the empanadas at Empanada Mama. Also because I think I will do better overall if there are some indulgent resolutions, too.

On Saturday we went to Park Avenue Armory and saw the event of a thread

There were swings that controlled that giant sheet, people reading and pigeons. That image should be a link to more pics. Oh, and I walked home from PAA, so progress on 3 and 6 in one outing!

We started on the sushi last night, getting 2 of the 31 special rolls. I counted and only 4 of them have mayo so I should do pretty well.

I’ma get married, and do it better this time.

Become an adequate 33 year-old skateboarder. (Don’t know if I told y’all, but I got a skateboard for Christmas, had loads of fun on it for about a week, and then sprained my ankle — for the first time in my life — botching an ollie. Just now healing up.)

Cook more and with a healthier vibe.

Also, I’m going to try and become a cultivated appreciator of scotch whisky. It’s really become a legitimate passion/hobby of mine over the past year.

Be the bigger parent more often and cut down on custody-related disputes with the ex. Without question, this was the biggest stain on 2012 for me, a banner year in most other respects. This doesn’t mean I’ve been at fault, necessarily, just that I haven’t handled the conflicts as wisely as I could’ve. Finn deserves better. Also, teach him to ride his bike sans training wheels. Like, this month.

Drum better and on a more regular basis. 2012 was a really quiet year for the musician inside of me. 2013 brings new opportunities. Being in a fun kids band is no excuse for not pounding gallantly. Related: improve pirate voice.

Get back to Budapest, if only for a couple of days. The ensuing credit card debt is worth it.

Have no new children.

The end.

• Davy did you skate way back when as well? Or are you starting for the first time?

I’ve been tempted to start skating again. There are some really nice concrete parks around here. I think I can still ollie and manuever fairly well, but I think I have lost my more advanced skateboarding skill set.

• midnight_augury said: Davy did you skate way back when as well? Or are you starting for the first time?

I’ve been tempted to start skating again. There are some really nice concrete parks around here. I think I can still ollie and manuever fairly well, but I think I have lost my more advanced skateboarding skill set.

Yeah, I used to skate in my early teen years, something like 20 years ago. I had a huge ramp in my backyard and everything. I was obsessed with it for three years or so, and I was pretty good! Ollies were a specialty, though I never became much of a half-pipe wizard.

Even after the obsession faded and I moved on to mountain biking, I always retained a lot of nostalgia for skating. Recently, in the past couple of years, with a new professional career, a new relationship, an older kid — a new life, basically — mountain biking just became too cumbersome to fit into my life easily. So I quit biking, for all intents and purposes (even though I have a totally sweet Schwinn Homegrown), and just did nothing for a while.

A few years ago (almost four, actually!), I came across this site that tracks vintage skateboard deck auctions on ebay (I posted about it at LPTJ: http://www.lastplanetojakarta.com/forums/index.php/topic,11220.msg563415.html#msg563415). That was my first really heavy dose of skateboarding nostalgia. A year or so went by and one day, a photo blog I follow posted a simple picture of a beautiful bright orange Penny skateboard. Penny is a company from Australia that makes gorgeous vintage-style plastic skateboards. I think I even shared it on facebook. Anyway, more time passed and then early this fall, L surprised me with a trip to the Museum of Design in Atlanta, where they were doing this amazing skateboard art exhibit. The nostalgia hit me again, this time really hard. Soon after that, I bought an encyclopedia of skateboard art, devoured it, and remembered the company that had impressed me so much the year before. I revisited Penny’s website and got totally obsessed with their vimeo station (http://vimeo.com/pennyskateboards — beware, it’s addictive). Watching their immaculately-shot, Instagramish commercials and promotional videos became my escape at work. Maybe it was the fact that most of the fun-loving folks in their videos were closer to my age, but whatever the reason, I fell completely under their spell. Within weeks, I decided that god damn it, I could have a skateboard if I wanted one. L offered to get me one for Christmas, and so I waited and waited and waited — honestly, I haven’t looked forward to Christmas this much in decades — and finally there it was, my beautiful customized glow-in-the-dark Penny skateboard under the tree.

But, um, to answer your question, yeah, I used to skate. Then I didn’t for 20 years, and now I’m trying to again. I can still ollie pretty good and I hold my own on the neighborhood streets, more or less. The sprained ankle situation was a fluke-thing, but I heard something pop and it hurt like hell, so consider it a lesson learned. I ain’t a teenager no more. Got it.

We’ve got a pretty swell concrete park here in Athens, but I think that’s something I’ll have to work my way up to. Also, I’m kinda nervous to be all encroaching dad-style on the young folks’ territory. We’ll see.

• I mean, tell me you don’t want one of these motherfuckers:

(Also, look! It’s Christian Hosoi! Swoon. I actually hadn’t seen this video yet — they just posted it. 80s legend Christian Hosoi skating with his kids! This is the best thing!)

• Last one, promise:

• Oh man, those Penny skateboards are all the rage here (well, that and long boards). They always seemed a little impractical, being so small. When I first started skating it was the tail end of the 80s old school period, with fat boards with deep concave, big soft wheels and tall trucks. This soon progressed into skinny boards with kick noses and very little concave with tiny wheels (and huge pants). But I never really understood the physics of the 70s style plastic skateboard.

It boggles my mind that dudes can actually pull tricks on those things as in the videos above. I will admit that the Hosoi deck definitely looks rad, though.

Living on the beach is really weird for skateboarding—there is this whole culture that didn’t exist in the midwest in the 90s. Barefoot surfer guys with longboards and stuff.

I feel you on the dad-style encroachment. Evidently old people skateboarding is a thing now though, according to the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/fashion/skateboarding-past-a-midlife-crisis.html?pagewanted=all

• And going way back to your Skate & Annoy ebay watch, this was my deck back in 89/90.

Corey Obrien old school

• And here was my second deck from 90/91

Tony Hawk Medallion

This one was kind of stupid, but it was one of the first decks with a big nose. They hadn’t quite figured out the symmetry yet.

• midnight_augury said: Oh man, those Penny skateboards are all the rage here (well, that and long boards). They always seemed a little impractical, being so small.

Dude! Last year they introduced the “Nickel” model, which is 27” long and much closer to the size of your standard 80s/90s deck! That’s what I have. It still has a pretty small tail, but I’m getting used to it.

I remember when skateboards were all suddenly band-aid-shaped with two concave ends…seemed like that change came overnight. I was pretty dismayed by that. Half the fun of getting a new deck back in the day was trying out a new shape, and some models, like Steve Caballero’s, Tony Hawk’s, Christian Hosoi’s — they had very distinct shapes and that was part of the thrill!

I have more to say about the evolution of skateboard shape & design, but I have to go eat dinner now!

PS…that Corey O’Brien deck was a stone cold classic! PPS…thanks for the NYT link! PPPS: I don’t remember that Tony Hawk deck at all! First time I’ve seen it! I had the second edition with the 90s geometry and the bird skull in the center.

1. 25 real push-ups by the time I turn 40 (in March) — have not checked yet to see if this is feasible.

Turns out it was not remotely feasible.

1. Finish thesis — this has to happen one way or another.

Nope!

1. Shoot with every camera in the house.

Yep.

1. Read something not school-related.

Yep.

1. Learn to sew darts.

Yep.

1. Knit a Silver Song: http://sixandahalfstitches.typepad.com/65st_patterns/

Nope. A lot of other stuff, but not that one.

1. Move out of my mother-in-law’s house.

And how!

• Man I really want a longboard. I like skating, so borrowing my flatmate’s regular one is feasible sometimes, but going on a longboard gives me instant endorphins.

• jeb said:
    I’ve been hesitant because I’m not really interested in Mahayana teachings so much

i apologize for the long follow up to this, but i’m interested in why this is. or how/what you classify as mahayana (not that there isn’t a distinction, obviously there is).

i only ask, because in my development in the dharma, there was never any line, the bodhicitta practices just kind of were always beneath the shamatha that we were taught from day one. i REALLY hope this doesn’t sound like i’m trying to start a debate* or anything, just curious. mainly because i can’t imagine my meditation practice without the starting point of mahayanism. so much so that i find it difficult to separate the teachings in my own life.

*not that debate isn’t healthy, just that it’s not really what i’m aiming for here, nor do i find it useful with regard to religious/spiritual practices on the internet.

• I mean, I don’t know that I’m really educated enough on the topic to have much of an opinion beyond gut reactions and the like, but mostly I’m not all that interested in the cosmic side of things so much, which the Mahayana schools seem much more preoccupied with. It’s not only that I’m not particularly interested in it, but it doesn’t seem important to me. I can get behind kamma and rebirth as cornerstone beliefs in Buddhist practice, but the explorations of cosmology don’t do anything for me, nor are they directly routed in the teachings of the Buddha. And it’s certainly possible that as my practice deepens, I will move in other directions and gain insight that moves me away from my starting point or enriches my system of beliefs, but, for me, the easiest place to start, the most logical place to start, is with the Buddha’s teachings, as directly from his mouth as possible, as undistilled as possible. It’s mostly thanks to Zach that I’ve spent the most time listening to Dharma talks that are more in the Thai Forest Tradition, which is focused primarily on meditation practice and adherence to the precepts, and as a lay practitioner, I like the many real world applications that I get from listening to the Dharma talks from people like Josh Korda at Dharma Punx NYC.

This is certainly a topic I’m interested in talking about further, if you are. I’d also be interested to see if Zach has anything to say on the topic.

• that’s really funny that you should bring up the cosmological aspects of the mahayana as your main objections to the tradition, because those were exactly mine when i began working with the dharma.
    as i began to actually work with the tradition though, i noticed that it really plays very little role at all. at least, it only plays as large a role as you’d like it to. the true core teachings of the mahayana, as i see it—besides the twofold egoless nature of the world, and later, buddha nature—are those of bodhicitta and the practices around it: tonglen, contemplating the four immeasurables, etc.
    in terms of real-world applicability, i’ve found that the mahayanan emphasis on the bodhisattva and the awakened heart really have helped propel me into a space where i can care for others before myself; a space of not simply ontological selflessness, but practical, compassionate selflessness in the service of others.
    none of this is separate from the theravadin and early buddhist traditions, but i do think that it’s important to explicitly stress how ALL of our practices as buddhists act as engines for everyday selflessness. otherwise, there’s the danger that samatha-vippassana practice will actually reinforce a desirous, ego-centric being in the world.

also want to apologize for the threadjack. jeb, if you want to continue this conversation, feel free to start a new thread where any interested parties can pile on.

• fitzhugh said:

“in terms of real-world applicability, i’ve found that the mahayanan emphasis on the bodhisattva and the awakened heart really have helped propel me into a space where i can care for others before myself; a space of not simply ontological selflessness, but practical, compassionate selflessness in the service of others.”

as a lot of y’all know I was raised in the mahayana tradition and this^ is the central idea behind everything I’ve been taught within buddhism. Fitz actually explains it much better than I’ve ever been able to.

I hereby resolve to be MORE RELIABLE. Confession: I am late to everything. Every. Single. Thing. Sometimes I can be pretty flaky too- and it takes me a long time to finally decide that I’m not going so I end up making people mad when I bail. This happened with a good friend of mine this week and she is so pissed at me right now. She said I was lazy and inconsiderate. ouch. So, I am going to try to work on this. It’s hard though. I don’t know where the time goes sometimes, or how I can be so slow when I really need to be in a hurry. I also haaate being rushed by others but I realize that is silly when I can be the slowest person getting ready.

Does anyone else do this kind of thing? How do you deal with it?

• It often appears that the times that I’m late, especially when I’m late because I was dawdling or slow or distracted in getting ready to go, it’s because the anxiety or apprehension I’m experiencing around some future event—sometimes the thing I’m getting ready for, sometimes something later on that day or even week—can manifest in a kind of paralysis or temporary limbic shutdown.

• so I guess this happens to me several times a day every day? :| I have thought about it having to do with anxiety since I didn’t start with the lateness until the past couple years- around the the whole exbf/bff thing (I feel tiresome for using that time as an excuse for so much of my neurotic behavior but it was pretty traumatic for me so maybe it’s ok).

That’s just what it is, too. Dawdling and getting distracted. And sometimes I’ll just be still and not think about anything in particular for a while or daydream- and it really does feel like I’m paralyzed sometimes. Not literally, but more as you are saying- I just don’t move. It’s definitely not because I do a lot of amazing and complicated things with my hair and makeup.

It also might be a combination of anxiety and ever developing slacker attitude which needs to be squelched. What do you do to get over it? Meditate is probably the best answer.

• Cocks, are you seeing anyone professionally at all? Not that that is the be-all, end-all solution to this kind of thing, but definitely being in talk therapy has gone a long, long way toward helping me developing the skills to deal with those exact issues (he says while procrastinating finishing writing the quiz for Pub Trivia, a thing about which he is very anxious for some reason). Mindfulness and meditation of course go a long way as well.

• yeah, i stopped going. I should start again or find a new person. I hadn’t really noticed before that it could be reaaally part of anxiety. I just figured I was getting lazier and dumber and maybe a little anxious about stuff in general.

• I’m late to work every single day, if that means anything. This is partly related to oversleeping, but also because I don’t really want to go. But yeah I agree with forge and jeb.

• I send hugs, peacocks. The good advice has already been given above.

• i am also a lazy butt, and if an event comes up that i haven’t had at least 24 hours to mentally prepare for i hum and haw all afternoon, usually turning up late or not at all. dats some textbook introversion, yo! also butts.

• Oh yeah, that thing where you almost convince yourself that you might go to something, but you know you won’t actually because its just too hard to go out and be with other people… Anxiety. I think your friends need to come to you ‘cocks.

• My friend’s kid has taken to adding the word ‘butt’ to the ends of all his sentences, butt. I am guessing it’s cuter on a 4 year old than a 41 year old. I’ll stop.

I hope you introvert dudes are able to work out a happy arrangement for companionship delivery on an as-needed basis.

• ferguson said: My friend’s kid has taken to adding the word ‘butt’ to the ends of all his sentences, butt. I am guessing it’s cuter on a 4 year old than a 41 year old. I’ll stop.

Sounds like my kind of kid!

• Well, it’s not overt anxiety. I like people and feel comfortable around them and my friends. I feel like I’m pretty extroverted, to a fault. Which also might be part of the problem- not giving myself enough alone recharge time. So, I hereby resolve to take more time for myself and to be more reliable, BUTT!

Thanks for the support and advice y’all.

• hannah said: And onwards to 2013, in which I hope to: 1) swim; 2) make movies; 3) watch movies; 4) write a chapter or two of my dissertation; 5) work on getting an article published; 6) translate Russian; 7) save money. Hmm.

I did pretty much everything except #5, which reflects less my resolve and more the lameness of my resolutions. So here are my two resolutions for 2014:

1) Cook more. Or, framed somewhat differently: Learn to enjoy cooking. 2) Submit an academic article to a peer-reviewed journal.

Edited to add a third resolution: 3) Draw from life.

• Clare said: This year - I want to get back an exercise routine, which I think is possible: run at least Sunday and Wednesday mornings, gym on Friday. I want to keep off the weight I’ve lost. I’d like to figure out how to have a holiday this year, I failed at that in ‘12, and worked over Christmas/New Year.

I’ve got the exercise and weight control thing going on auto now :-) I’m having a holiday that started in 2013, but I’m not quite in holiday mode yet, having worked up to Christmas Eve.

This year: I dunno. “Work on my relationship with The Bloke” is probably my main one, but I need to decide to choose to do it. (that’s a lot of conditionals in one verb clause, hey?)

• I achieved none of my resolutions except “do free love related stuff more” I guess…this year was more about the personal practice than the political theory I think, doing a mutually open relationship for awhile incl dealing with him seeing another woman at the same time as me (which made me surprisingly jealous for a bit, but that abated helped by when we also hooked up). I did two talks about free love/relationship ideology on panels this year, but not much writing. At some point this year, probably quite soon, I’m going to put on a debate related to it. And since Mum suggested we all go to conferences when we’re in Europe, it’d be great to find one that I could present something like that at. Probably at a radical queer conference or something; the polyamory community is a possibility but a lot of their politics annoy me.

I think last year I started to feel much more like I was a part of a community, which has been pretty nice. So I guess I’d like to keep solidifying that. I also vaguely started to be on time for work during the last two days of the work year, so I should try that again.

• I actually did pretty good on my 2013 resolutions:

I got married, and I did it better this time. (Note to self: this resolution is ongoing.)

I became an adequate thirty-something skateboarder.

I cooked more and cooked healthier (but backslid in recent months).

I learned more about whisky.

I was the bigger parent through some pretty rough shit this spring, then, thankfully, I didn’t have to be. The arrival of Finn’s first sibling (on his mom’s side) has really mellowed things out in a totally unpredictable and awesome way.

I drummed more and on a more regular basis. Stuck with the kids band long after it was clear that ship was sinking, then got out of it before too much damage was done. Currently still in the other band, and there’s a new prospect on the horizon.

I did not, sadly, get back to Budapest. Too many weddings to attend in far-flung places. (However, this is the year of Istanbul.)

Lastly, I had no new children. So, 7 out of 8, not bad!

• I don’t think I made vows for 2013, which is fine because I surely would have failed. As I was sort of bottoming out in December, though, I sank to the pathetic level of trolling homophobes on Breitbart and NRO for a while, five years after the rest of you guys ran that well dry.

I absolutely vow not to repeat this in 2014.

• I did not manage to start skateboarding (again) in 2013.