T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
13 Tips - Good stuff coming out
  • What are you waiting for?

Good things I’ve heard so far are:

• Broadcast – Berberian Sound Studio: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    • Pantha Du Prince & The Bell Laboratory - Elements Of Light
    • Mountains - Centralia
    • Grouper – The Man Who Died In His Boat

Hotly anticipated…

• Autechre - Exai (March)
    • Robyn Hitchcock – Love From London (March)
    • Jar Moff - Commercial Mouth (out)
    • Stephan Mathieu - Un Coeur Simple (out)
    • Todd Dockstader - Electronic Vol.2 (1979) (out)
    • Four Tet - 0181 (out)

2012 things I missed, but am enjoying

• Tape Loop Orchestra – In A Lonely Place

And 2012 stuff I covet:

• Hacker Farm - UHF
    • Lichens - Lítiõ Fólk
  • good things heard so far:

anticipated:

• tegan and sara: heartthrob
    • paramore: paramore

2012 things i missed that are fucking brutal:

• grave: endless procession of souls
    • black breath: sentenced to life
    • weapon: embers and revelations
    • goat: world music
    • cannibal corpse: torture
  • nickinko said:

• Pantha Du Prince & The Bell Laboratory - Elements Of Light

I listened to this twice today! Read about it and it seemed like quite the fitting soundtrack to the end of my work on the Lonely Planet Berlin translation. And it was! I’ll come back to it.

Off the top of my head, I’m really looking forward to the forthcoming Wire album Change Becomes Us - preview song here: http://thequietus.com/articles/11145-wire-new-album-doubles-trebles, the new William Tyler album on Merge (March), and the next Handsome Family album in May.

• nickinko said: - Grouper – The Man Who Died In His Boat

I want to hear!

• Robyn Hitchcock – Love From London (March)

Nice!

BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: - the joy formidable: wolf’s blood (most massive guitar tone 2013)

Awesome! I will listen tonight!

I am looking forward to:

Frightened Rabbit – Pedestrian Verse - 2/5 Azealia Banks – Broke With Expensive Taste - 2/12 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – Push The Sky Away - 2/18 The Men - New Moon - 3/5 Low – The Invisible Way - 3/19 Marnie Stern – The Chronicles Of Marnia - 3/19 Suede - tbd - March The Knife - Shaking the Habitual - 4/9 Kurt Vile – Wakin On A Pretty Daze - Spring

• mountmccabe said:

nickinko said: - Grouper – The Man Who Died In His Boat

I want to hear!

It’s a collection of tracks she rtecorded at the same time as the Dragging A Dead Deer album. Her stuff is consistently good, I think.

mountmccabe said:

nickinko said: - Robyn Hitchcock – Love From London (March)

Nice!

Yes indeed. I have tickets to see him on March 5th down here, and I think the album is released that very day.

Meanwhile, attention davy. Hitchcock’s website informs me you can get 30% off his I Wanna Go Backwards box set.

• nickinko said:

• Jar Moff - Commercial Mouth (out)

Nice! I had forgotten about jar moff but I really liked this album he made for leaving records a while ago

otherwise I’m heavy into the broadcast record but I’m kind of just playing it cool, in 2013 the music will come to me

• well now i’m extremely fucking psyched for the new darkthrone record: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=88153

• The Factory Floor album can’t be far away.

• BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: good things heard so far:

• dawn richard: goldenheart (this thing is overwhelming and pretty)

I need to hear whatever song it is on that that will sell me on it. I know she’s great (see 2010 AK for arguments on why Last Train To Paris is everything MBDTF wished it was) but I’ve been less than enthused by the couple tracks I heard.

• teena marie: beautiful

…isn’t she dead? :(

• yeah, posthumous record, but it’s great

• also last train to paris is the best album of at least the last five years imo. dawn’s solo work is a lot more interior and slow-acting but just as effective i think

• ae

Autechre - Exai

It’s out today and the here at Ink Mansions we’re basically bouncing off the walls with excitement.

• The new Yo La Tengo record is really good.

My favorite so far this year is the Ducktails album, though. It’s followed closely by the Jim James solo joint, which is surprisingly enjoyable for a guy who never really cottoned to My Morning Jacket.

• BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: also last train to paris is the best album of at least the last five years imo.

Ayo, you know what I love about you, BAoH? I can always count on you for a musical opinion that I think is absolutely nuts, but which isn’t horrifying or stupid. It’s an incredibly delicate balance.

I will say, LTtP is the album that Kanye wishes MBDTF was.

• nickinko said: Autechre - Exai

It’s out today and the here at Ink Mansions we’re basically bouncing off the walls with excitement.

i’m psyched!

• Pants said:

nickinko said: Autechre - Exai

i’m psyched!

I’ve played it through 6 or 7 times now and I’m smitten.

• Antero said:

BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: also last train to paris is the best album of at least the last five years imo.

Ayo, you know what I love about you, BAoH? I can always count on you for a musical opinion that I think is absolutely nuts, but which isn’t horrifying or stupid. It’s an incredibly delicate balance.

I will say, LTtP is the album that Kanye wishes MBDTF was.

the greatest compliment i’ve ever received!

• The first release proper (Jar Moff was delayed) from PAN records sounds promising.

“Coti K, Nikos Veliotis and ILIOS’ chamber music outfit use contrabass, cello and oscillators to produce monolithic drone compositions. ”

http://soundcloud.com/pan_recs/mohammad-lapli-tero-pan-37

• Thank you, wonderful, interesting e-friends, for this treasure trove of hot tips.

• The first release of the year on one of my favourite labels, Miasmah, is out.

It’s a collaboration between label boss Erik Skodvin (of Deaf Center, Svarte Greiner), droner Aidan Baker and percussionist Andrea Belfi, under the name B/B/S/, and the album’s called ‘Brick Mask’.

Belfi’s approach to percussion is fantastic. I first heard him on his ‘Pulses & Places’ release with Machinefabriek a few years ago, and then again on last year’s ‘Wege’ solo album.

This one is kind of four longish tracks of rolling bass, bowed guitar and various erratic clatterings. Acoustic doom jamz.

The whole album is streaming at soundcloud B/B/S/ - Brick Mask by miasmah

• Sounds interesting! I’m aware of Belfi through his collaboration record with David Grubbs and Stefano Pilia that Drag City put out one or two years ago; I really liked that.

• The new Nick Cave, Push The Sky Away, is alright, I think. Only listened once so far. It’s much quieter than Dig Lazarus Dig, which made me think of a vibe similar to And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside-Out by Yo La Tengo. That could just be me, though. I get annoyed with some of Nick Cave’s pretentious references to Wikipedia or Hannah Montana or whatever, but that’s how he is.

• I must admit I don’t really get the Yo La Tengo comparison, but that’s probably because that record evokes a very precise and vivid vision of suburban America that Nick Cave is quite far away from, I think. You’re making me want to listen to that again though, definitely the one Yo La Tengo record I actively care about. As for Push The Sky Away, it’s got two great songs (“Jubilee Street” and “Higgs Boson Blues”, despite the title) and a couple of alright ones (I really like the beginning of “We No Who You R”, but it doesn’t quite go anywhere after that), but I think really at this point he’s just making “Nick Cave records” and should pretty much call it quits. The amount of praise the recent stuff + Grinderman has been getting is sort of baffling to me.

(also the opening couplet of “Mermaids” is possibly the worst lyric penned in the past ten years)

• Oh yes? What is it!

• lol i can think of five dirtier lyrics on abbatoir blues

• I see. I listen to that and I’m having one of those ‘Is it him who’s changed or is it me?’ moments.

• BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: lol i can think of five dirtier lyrics on abbatoir blues

I have no particular difficulty imagining dirtier lyrics, but I refuse to image that there could be any worse lyrics.

(disclaimer: I did not listen to that, I just googled the lyrics after edison’s first post)

• There’s a Menomena single out which is quite cool. If you like Menomena, that is.

• BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: lol i can think of five dirtier lyrics on abbatoir blues

Yeah, I wasn’t talking about dirty at all, but about bad!

• nickinko said: There’s a Menomena single out which is quite cool. If you like Menomena, that is.

I heard that once the other day and it didn’t really register, but I’ll give it other chances, thanks for the reminder.

• edison said:

BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: lol i can think of five dirtier lyrics on abbatoir blues

Yeah, I wasn’t talking about dirty at all, but about bad!

of course! and i was thinking they don’t even function well as dirty lyrics

• Oh! Yeah, definitely.

• New OMD and Bonobo in the next couple months. Psyched about both of those.

• Wow that Nick Cave song is fucking awful all around

• Seriously I was not expecting it to be this bad.

• That B/B/S/ thing was really really good though! Washing the terrible Nick Cave song out from my brain

• Definitely seconding Edison on “Jubilee Street” (it’s very good), but yeah, the rest of the record strikes me as a little dull.

• Guess I’d better post “Jubilee Street” to counterbalance the effect of that wretched “Mermaids” (sorry, Nick asked for it!):

• edison said: Guess I’d better post “Jubilee Street” to counterbalance the effect of that wretched “Mermaids” (sorry, Nick asked for it!):

jeb said: That B/B/S/ thing was really really good though! Washing the terrible Nick Cave song out from my brain

I suppose I’m even then!

• This one of the better ideas I’ve come across recently. Reissues in a kickstarter-like format. OOP records pressed once the order threshold is reached. Mostly Ninja Tune/Big Dada but they’ve also got the likes of Domino and Beggers Banquet on board.

http://www.beatdelete.com/

• There’s a new Kingsbury Manx album out in a few days, turns out! I’ve already pre-ordered it; songs like “Ashes to Lashes” or “Lyon” should convince any fans of very gentle, melodic autumnal folk music to do the same:

http://soundcheck.wnyc.org/blogs/soundcheck-blog/2013/feb/26/check-ahead-kingsbury-manx-bronze-age/

• I don’t know what you’re all on about the new Nick Cave album. On first listen, I wasn’t feeling it, but it’s been a slow burn for me. Prefer the second half to the first, if only for the weighty “Higgs Boson Blues.”

Admittedly, “Mermaids” is not worth much time trying to defend.

• Gotta give it a few more spins. We’ll see—according to last night’s set list it looks like we’ll be getting the entire album (in order) for the first part of the show tomorrow.

• Remember a few years ago when the band Ovens released that awesome album that was like Weezer and the Fucking Champs and the Joggers?

http://peelsonwheels.blogspot.com/

Well Tony Molina, singer and songwriter of Ovens, just released another album.

http://meltersmusic.bandcamp.com/album/dissed-and-dismissed

You can listen to the whole thing there. It just sounds like another Ovens album, so it’s awesome.

• I’m just listening to the new clinic release- it’s all alternate mixes of the album from last year by daniel lopatin. I haven’t listened to this band in years but this album is siiiiick

it’s streaming on pfork. check the first song anyway for weird blurting horns and jangle

and like the best of clinic the songs all feel like walking down a really long hallway that’s gradually getting smaller and smaller B)

• Re: inko’s post on Miasmah upthread…

You had me at “acoustic doom jamz”

• john vanderslice has a new record coming out. I haven’t kept up with JV much in the past several years, but it has a cool name and a cool cover. he’s releasing it through a kickstarter campaign

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/johnvanderslice/john-vanderslices-dagger-beach-the-new-album

and has already raised an absurd amount of money. i haven’t been too keen on jv’s recent stuff and don’t know if i’m going to donate. but I really like the david bowie cover here, so i’m interested to see what the cover album sounds like.
    http://stereogum.com/1280641/john-vanderslice-big-brother-david-bowie-cover-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

• I was driving through downtown Athens a few days ago when I saw “MK Ultra” on the marquee of one of our second-tier venues. I was like “?!”

• i’ve typed mk ultra in to spotify a couple of times and there seems to be like three or four different acts of who knows what genre that have taken that name. they should all be forced to DROP it

• Before I googled it just now, I never knew what the original, non-musical MK Ultra was. CIA mind control project, ok.