T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

Too Much Beer
  • There’s too much beer. So much I put it in this silly pitcher. Beer

This is like not even a tiny dent in how much beer there is.

• Hard to tell with the resizing, but is that like, a pint glass? And does that pitcher even have a handle??

• Wait, double post? WTF?

• i think i have a possible solution for your beer problem

• No, it’s just a 12oz tumbler. The pitcher has no handle—you hold it like a brandy snifter! It is silly.

Pants if you want to come implement your solution you’re more than welcome.

• I like that glass! Also I have had a bunch of ouzo mixed with grapefruit juice and lightly carbonated! It is great!

• I am drunk as fuck y’all

Well, not really drunk as fuck, but htem ost durnk I”m ve bgen in a very long time

• you know

• You ouzo chumps need to get on the Zwack tip.

zwack

• Is this the beer thread?

A friend of mine back in OH just mentioned to me on FB that a beer we brewed collaboratively last February took a silver medal in the Cincinnati Oktoberfest Homebrew Competition. It definitely inspired me to get back on the horse and make time for the hobby again!

Additionally, I’m having some folks over for a kind of general tasting today. Some of the stuff we’ll be trying:

Maine MO — American Pale Ale. 6%ABV. Hopped with Warrior, Falconer’s Flight (!) and Simcoe. From the brewery: “Our first run at an American Pale Ale. Flavors and aromas of zesty citrus, passionfruit, and pine present themselves throughout. A very subtle malt sweetness for balance, but this is intended to finish dry.”

Two Brothers Outlaw — IPA. 6.3%ABV. —> Brand new, no real commercial description available. Purports to be well-balanced.

Firestone Walker Walker’s Reserve — Porter. 5.8%ABV. From the brewery: “A singularly distinctive beer that represents our finest brewing efforts, Walker’s Reserve is a elegant dark ale featuring robust flavors of toffee, caramel and bittersweet chocolate. This brew employs five specialty malts, as well as oat and barley flakes, for added complexity and flavor.”

Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout — 5%ABV From the brewery: “Brewed with well water (the original well, sunk in 1758, is still in use with the hard well water being drawn from 85 feet underground), the gently roasted organic cocoa extract impart a delicious, smooth and creamy character, with inviting deep flavours and a delightful finish - this is a marriage of satisfying stout and luxurious chocolate.”

Beastly Ales Cocoa Milk Stout — 6.3%ABV Brewed in early January 2012, this dark and luscious milk stout was finished with a liberal amount of cocoa nibs in the boil, providing subtle earthy and dark chocolate undertones to an otherwise creamy and roasty beer.

Maine Beer Co Mean Old Tom — American Stout. 6%ABV From the brewery: “Our American-style stout aged on organic vanilla beans. Intense notes of coffee and dark chocolate lead way to subtle notes of natural vanilla. Flaked oats generate a silky mouthfeel.”

Smuttynose Brewing Co. Homunculus — Belgian Strong Golden Ale. 9%ABV. From the brewer: “The Gnome was brewed in homage to the recent arrivals of hoppy Belgian beers that we’re starting to see here in the US. I was really shooting for that beautifully soft hopping that’s found in the Houblon Chouffe, however, the Gnome has developed its own unique characteristics and flavor profile. The base beer is a Belgian triple brewed with White Labs Chimay-style yeast. I really liked the fruit character from this yeast, but man, that stuff still hasn’t dropped bright. The hopping was done with Vanguard, Sterling and East Kent Goldings. I think this beer has a lot of potential, though I’d like another shot at brewing the style.”

Oskar Blues Brewing Co. Deviant Dale’s — IPA. 8%ABV. From the brewery: “This beer is intended to be a sensory assault for hop lovers. At 8.0% ABV, four hop additions during the brew process, and a final wallop of excessive Columbus dry-hopping, this beer is meant to say one thing: MORE HOPS! Perfect for these cool winter nights, The Deviant is a returning favorite from the little brewery in Lyons, Colorado that started the Canned Revolution!”

Rhinelander Brewing Co. Double IPA — 8.4%ABV — No commercial description available. A repackaging of a big IPA exclusively for Trader Joe’s. Enjoy!

Captain Lawrence Hops N Roses — Wild Ale. 5.5%ABV. The popular Liquid Gold aged in wine barrels with Hibiscus, Rose Hips, and Elder Flowers and conditioned with Brettanomyces.

• discovered last night and rediscovered just now that my secret dream is to write beer pr

• I had that Two Brothers Outlaw. I liked it.

• Yeah Outlaw is good, and balanced is a good word for it. It’s pretty much an approachable IPA that Two Brothers put together strictly for canning. I’m a little surprised the ABV is so high as I’d almost have called it sessionable based on my experiences. Medium-to-light bodied, caramel, with a moderate but not overwhelming amount of resiny/citrusy hop aroma and flavor.

• BlackAmnesiaOfHeaven said: discovered last night and rediscovered just now that my secret dream is to write beer pr

Me too, though maybe that’s not surprising. A lot of beer copy is aggressively stupid, even on beers I love!

The Beastly Ales one is mine, btw

• I’m going to a homebrew fest in a little while. Unlimited sampling of 75 beers by 50 different local homebrewers. Should be pretty sweet. Will report back on anything crazy.

• When oh when will we have teleportation technology

• Oh shit dudes. I have sampled ALL THE BEERS.

• You are like a Homebrew Beer Quilt.

• pollo said: Me too, though maybe that’s not surprising. A lot of beer copy is aggressively stupid, even on beers I love!

i bought the storm king imperial stout last night (kind of ugh bc the rampant hoppiness overrode everything) and the copy was super incredible/awful

oh wait here we go:

• Oh, my Lemmy barfing in my friends’ toilet beer!

• Well okay, the best thing there in my opinion was this dude who made a stout and dry hopped it and aged it with oak chips which had been soaked in Jameson. Oh man.

• Hey who’s into Uinta?

Hopnotch is my default beer now, and I love a Dubhe when I want something strong.

Organic Mix’r is also A-OK.

• ElJosharino said: Well okay, the best thing there in my opinion was this dude who made a stout and dry hopped it and aged it with oak chips which had been soaked in Jameson. Oh man.

kill this man and absorb his powers like mega man

• Brad have you had the Maine Beer Co. Mean Old Tom yet? Roasty stout aged on vanilla beans. You need to look into this

• pollo said: Brad have you had the Maine Beer Co. Mean Old Tom yet? Roasty stout aged on vanilla beans. You need to look into this

I got this a few weeks ago. Really good.

• I’m kimd of scared to sit up today because I think if/when I do, a massive hangover is gonna kick in.

• So here I shall lie, lookng at the internet on my Apple brand tablet with Japanese television streaming on my actual computer for whatever reason.

• I did it! I forgot that daylight savings happened last night and I was all like what am I doing awake at only 9 AM?

• This is the absurd beer list at the restaurant i’m cooking in part time:

Taps: http://logansalley.com/drink/ Bottles: http://logansalley.com/drink/bottled-beer/

I really enjoy my employee discount. Walked out with a growler of the Arbor Brewing Buzzsaw IPA last night after I closed out the kitchen. It was spectacular.

• Daaaaamn Dragon’s Milk draught

and holy fuck the prices

• Right now I’m into super-intense bleu cheeses with bigass hoppy IPAs. Last night I bought some really funky, spicy Roquefort and had it with a Bear Republic Racer X; now I’m having some with a Firestone Walker Union Jack. Sooooo good

• Oh! My hoppy session ale turned out really well! It’s like 3.8 ABV and super-floral and tasty, which means I could easily drink tons of it at a time. Kind of sad I only have about 2-3 gallons left.

• the first keg in our kegerator was a deschutes india malt liquor. it’s a pretty weird beer with spices and floral notes and an odd sort of sourness along with the bitterness. my roommate that works at deschutes had the brewer dig the keg out from the depths of the warehouse. it lasted about 27 hours.

i think the next one will be one of their more straightforward ipas. any recommendations of deschutes beers worth getting are welcome. i’m not a big fan of theirs, but $30 kegs are impossible to pass up.

• I just spent a weekend in Southern Styria, which is one of Austria’s most significant wine-growing areas, and the place where my all-time favourite wines come from (which probably isn’t saying much, as I am not much of a wine expert or even regular drinker at all). So I did drink quite a bit of wine, of course. More relevant to this thread, however, is that it turns out that the valleys between all those grape-filled hills are used to grow hops. There was a small brewery in the town near which we were staying, and we acquired two large bottles of their seasonal chestnut beer. One of them is still in our fridge and will need to be emptied soon. Which should be pretty easy, as the first bottle was really very tasty.

• Re: Deschutes beers, my craving for Mirror Pond just won’t go away, but I know it’s probably the most obvious one.

Re: chestnut beer, the only one I’ve ever had (from some small brewery in Auvergne) was terrible, so I’m curious!

• Doesn’t Rogue make some kind of chestnut beer? A brown ale with chestnut? Seems like that would be nice.

My mom brought me a four pack of Surly Furious, which I have been savoring carefully. They just don’t make ‘em like that in Australia. She also brought me two huge bottles of Campari, so I’m just gonna start drinking negronis full time this summer.

• they make a hazelnut brown (which is tasty, but becomes a bit much after about a glass). i’m not sure if they make a chestnut beer.

• Ah…that’s probably what I’m thinking of.

• Whoa, two new breweries are going to be opening up here within a year or so, one of which will also be a whiskey distillery. Nice.

• Check that. Three new breweries. Nicer!

• edison said: Re: Deschutes beers, my craving for Mirror Pond just won’t go away, but I know it’s probably the most obvious one.

Mmmmmmmirror Pond. One of my local pubs just got it on tap. A new favorite, replacing my usual 2 pints of Old Speckled Hen.

• Got a growler of Finch’s Threadless IPA out of Chicago recently. I was crazy about it.

• I’ve never tasted this mirror pond, but each time I read it here these distant memories of just how good american beer can be swell up and my imagination runs wild.

also, “i’ve never tasted this mirror pond” woah.

• That Threadless is pretty good. Mirror Pond too

• Petition to rename this thread “A Sufficiency of Beer”

• I just spent 6 hours shoveling cases of Chimay, Rochefort, Alesmith, Ballast Point, Maine Beer, Hitachino, BFM, Cantillon and many more into dumpsters.

• never has too much beer been so sad

• JimTheBeerGuy said: Petition to rename this thread “A Sufficiency of Beer”

Petition considered, deemed drunk

• I’m pretty glad that I live in a world with a bar like O’Leaver’s where I can get a bunch of shots and a whole bunch of whiskey & cokes and my tab is only $12.

• I got drunk with Davy a bunch this weekend.

• I wasted half a bottle of 2010 Smuttynose Wheat Wine last night because I fell asleep in the middle of it, totally exhausted from moving kegs all day.