T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Awesome thrad
  • There doesn’t seem to be a thread for our recent triumphs, accomplishments and achievements, so here it is!

The move back to OH has been really nice. For those of you who weren’t aware, my wife lost her job in late January and was given a handsome severance, so we decided to cut bait, leave New York and head for Columbus. It’s something we’d been discussing a lot before the layoff, anyway, as we wanted to be closer to family what with the behbeh growin up. So anyway, it’s been two weeks and D and I both have good jobs and are all settled in. Bought another Prius, been brewing beer. I do miss the city, but (as I’ve known for years) this is a great town, especially for a beer & coffee nerd.

The results of the job search were actually shocking—I got calls for interviews almost every day, and received several offers in the first week that I eventually turned down, because I was gunning for a specific job with a specific company. And I got it. All within ~14 days. I spent two months looking for work in NYC last summer.

• That is beyond awesome, Miles! Good for you!

• Miles, I am glad that everything worked out for you! Super stoked. Similarly, my business is going really well - So well that I’m probably going to have to incorporate an LLC and likely bring in a partner this summer - I’m on track to have the $$ needed for my October wedding scrapped together by April, and I’m currently surfing in Nicaragua.

• That is indeed awesome, Miles & Dave.

• Dave if you ever need a guy to sit around and get paid the big bucks to do next to nothing let me know

• And if you need someone to help jeb with all that then let me know.

• We’re both very handsome, if that helps.

• That’s terrific, you two! Miles, come to Chicago soon.

• Good job, you guys!

I got a paid internship in D.C. for the summer through a very competitive program, so I’m pretty stoked. Hopefully will meet more people and eventually get a real job that last more than a few months and pays enough for living in D.C.

• pollo said: I got calls for interviews almost every day, and received several offers in the first week that I eventually turned down, because I was gunning for a specific job with a specific company. And I got it. All within ~14 days. I spent two months looking for work in NYC last summer.

DCDave said: Miles, I am glad that everything worked out for you! Super stoked. Similarly, my business is going really well - So well that I’m probably going to have to incorporate an LLC and likely bring in a partner this summer - I’m on track to have the $$ needed for my October wedding scrapped together by April, and I’m currently surfing in Nicaragua.

img

• Good to hear of everyone’s successes. I am having good job times as well.

Step one: Fast car. Priorities must be in order.

• Dave, I didn’t know you were getting married! Congratulations!

Funny, I was just explaining to Aaron about having known Davy since before Finn was born, all the way through his wedding prep, now. What an interesting experience it’s been to go along with everybody through school, divorces, weddings, births, moves, career developments … I’ve been through all these somewhat isolating experiences and my relationships that have been conducted wholly online have been extremely important to me. It’s wonderful to have a few close friends, such that you can pick right back up after a long interlude — but it’s also wonderful to have a big group of friends in all time zones, such that you can top up your need for human contact (and mine is a strong need) in the little crumbs of time you have.

• Word, B. ^^^^ Imaginary friends are great.

• Ditto to b it’s a great feeeelin

• It’s also really fun to hang out with these dudes in the flesh if you get the chance.

• i just asked an old crush from high school, who has become a good musician and handsome man, if i can smell his hair in a birthday poem. this could be an accomplishment or a mortifying situation depending on his reaction. i’m drunk, will find out when i wake up.

• Mortifying. He just posted vacation photos with his beautiful girlfriend. Also, it’s lent and I’m likely offending people by even being here, I’d best be ducking out now.

• hey cbs. yeah, it’d be easier if you did.

• This thread just turned a lot less awesome.

Pollo, congrats on the move and the job!

• So I’m out of town and crashing with one of my friends, who is an avid cyclist. We went out to a bar and were catching the train back. He’s texting with his girlfriend and says such, to which she replies, “Not biking?” He texts, “AK can’t ride a bike,” which is true, and her response is simply “?”

He shows me this exchange, and I say, “Tell her I only have one leg.” He does, and she buys it, and now I’m going to see how long I can keep up the pretense.

• I don’t know how to swim

• As was established when we started this place, I just banned CBS. Nothing personal.

• I’ll teach you all how to ride bikes and swim because they are pretty enjoyable pass times! I once taught a 34 year old woman how to float on her back.

• when i was in Japan i made friends with a group of azerbaijani girls, none of which knew how to ride bikes, which was weird to me as it’s a rite of passage in nz. anyway, i taught them all. it only takes a day or so when you’re an adult, so do it!

• And then you get to be drunk on a bike, which is the best. But illegal in Austria.

• Yay everyone up thread with their awesome things!

Being drunk on a bike always sounds incredibly stupid to me—less stupid than drunk driving perhaps, because of lower potential to hurt others, but still stupid. Because, you know, navigating traffic etc on a bike isn’t something where reflexes, balance, and awareness are important or anything. And it’s not like fucking that up can get you killed or could cause a larger accident harming others or anything. Nah.

• I had a few drinks a couple weeks ago and then tried to ride my skateboard a quarter-mile to my friend’s house. I made it one (very difficult) block before I totally wiped out. Humbled and hurting, I turned around, intending to get my skateboard back home and call him for a ride. On the way back, I fell again and sprained my wrist. Sad face. :(

• Well I was probably more thinking tipsy on a bike, just buzzed enough that it feels particularly amazing and novel. And not in traffic; this is at 3am on a deserted street sorta thing.

• The only time I’ve ever successfully biked without using my hands, I was incredibly drunk.

• drunk biking is maybe not the best idea. but I’m not gonna hate on anybody as I’ve done it a ton of times

watch out for buses though.

• Biked drunk many times, never in traffic. Usually riding down a grassy hill no hands or in sleeping neighborhoods, not falling down drunk.

Congrats everyone!

• “Drunk in charge of a bicycle” is a thing the cops can pull you up for here. It’s lots of fun riding while drunk. The wind in your ears is good.

• I can get more behind it on grassy hills etc. I think the combo of learning about TBIs (traumatic brain injury) and my friends’ experiences working in TBI units has made me way twitchier on that front. If you enjoy generally living without the thought nagging in the back of your head that even getting up off of all fours back in the day may have been a questionable decision, do not learn about that stuff.

Since that’s not awesome, in awesome news, I was awarded a pretty competitive fellowship: full tuition + stipend, including small raise, for next year, no strings attached. Should be my last year here, if all goes according to plan, so super excited to have no more classes, no teaching, no running other people’s research, just my own research projects (of which I have way too many) and clinical work. It’s also becoming suddenly very real that I am going to be moving on in not so long, to who knows where (yay internship match process… ), which is a combo of awesome and weird and stressful.

Also awesome: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2013/02/22/expanding-public-access-results-federally-funded-research (Now all federally funded research will be made publicly available within 12 months of publication.)

• My friend John started the petition to get that policy implemented/expanded!

• Tell him thanks!

• Congrats, jess, that sounds fantastic!

• Man my new job is awesome. I’m so glad I’m not betting on a career in the academy any longer

And congrats to jess that is super awesome

• Thanks guys! Glad you like your job—what sort of stuff are you doing?

• I’m with another craft beer distributor in Columbus, doing sales. The portfolio is fantastic and way more manageable than the one I worked with in New York, and the job is just generally less stressful, more fun and better-compensated. I’m fairly certain beer is my career path, and it feels good to have gotten that (mostly) figured out as I approach 30.

• Woah, that sounds awesome, pollo, congratulations!

• beer career!! congrats pollo

• awesome thrad, i bring you my favorite thing in the world right now

• I don’t think I mentioned this on here yet for fear of jinxing it, but my ladyfriend just moved in with me last weekend. I am digging that we get to come home to each other, and feeling good about it, though a bit nervous given past co-habitation relationships. But! Excited.

• Congrats!

• Thanks! I think that in addition to enjoying living with me, she’s also super-excited about the cats; she spends a lot of time on schoolwork, and she’s been over the moon about the fact that Caliban will sit in her lap for hours at a time while she’s typing.

• yayyyyyyyyyyy nog

• Nice one Nogger!

• Excellent news Nogman.

• Greg, that’s so great! I take it she passed on the job, then?

• yay! HOpe you guys keep having fun!

• A+, Greg. :D