T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
What happened last night? And why am I carrying these records?
  • Haul of Records thrad

alt text

Q-Tip - The Renaissance

alt text

Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream

alt text

Rupa and the April Fishes - Este Mundo

alt text

Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy - I See a Darkness

alt text

Robert Pollard - From a Compound Eye

alt text

The Waco Brothers - Cowboy in Flames

alt text

Chuck Prophet - Age of Miracles

alt text

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville

alt text

Nick Cave - From Her to Eternity

• lol you buy records still

oh wait actually i got these at housing works the other day, all in pretty decent condition, no monumental scratches:

image mahavishnu orchestra: the inner mounting flame

image randy newman: good old boys

image peter gabriel: peter gabriel

image diana ross and the supremes: greatest hits

• I still buy records, too. In fact, way too many. I got these on Monday:

alttext

Alasdair Roberts & Friends - A Wonder Working Stone - This is a great record, much less austere-sounding than many previous Roberts recordings I’ve heard, with a great, joyous communal big-band feel to it, and excellent lyrics and arrangements (just the electric guitar sound on “Scandal and Trance” is enough to sell the whole thing for me).

alttext

Dawn McCarthy & Bonny Billy - What the Brothers Sang - All Everly Brothers covers, I believe. Sounds pretty good so far and pretty much what you would expect from that sort of thing, but I have to listen to it more.

• Man, I love BPB but can’t really get too excited about this Everly Bros thing. If anyone really loves it, argue for it passionately and maybe I’ll get inspired enough to check it out, otherwise probably gonna pass.

I still can’t believe that I just spent an entire week in NYC without seeing a movie OR so much as entering a record store. But Jim, if you listen to that Pollard album without bouncing off the walls and shouting “I’m a widow and I’m hot to do you,” I fear for the condition of your soul.

• I’m curious about the new Bonny Prince Billy.

• Last week I bought these:

Paul Bley - Open, to Love. I like the cover, the music’s not bad (in fact it’s really good,) and it’s got a funny name.

Charlie Haden - Magico. Hat tip to ferguson for getting me started.

Lil’ Cease - Wonder World of Cease A Leo. Because it was 25c.

Genesis - abacab. A little while ago, for a period of about a month I listened to this exclusively, maybe once in a while putting on Duke, so I needed it in my hands, big and real.

Vince Guaraldi Trio - Charlie Brown Christmas. Because everyone should have this record.

Kieth Jarrett Trio- Somewhere Before. Another Charlie Haden piece.

Steely Dan - Gaucho. Not sure how I didn’t have it already.

Joao Gilberto. Excellent album. I’ve been collecting a bit of Brazilian jazz lately, and it’s all pretty good.

• Picked up the Clean’s “Oddities” 2xLP yesterday at Licorice Pie. I’ve got to hit that place up more often—the selection is good and the prices are cheap (for Melbourne), just as I like them.

• Brazilian jazz is great fun! I’ve been rocking Gilberto at work a lot lately.

• weekend dollar-bin vinyl scores:

Joni Mitchell, For the Roses

Joni Mitchell, Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter (one of the few JM albums I’ve never heard—this is gonna be pretty bad, I think?)

Kinks, Sleepwalker (likewise; did Ray Davies ever do anything good again after 1971?)

Tim Hardin 3, Live in Concert

Waylon Jennings, Ol’ Waylon (my father loves him, but offhand I’m not even sure I can think of single Waylon Jennings song; assuming this is not on early-Kristofferson level, but hey, that would be neat)

• I like Don Juan’s Reckless Daughter.

• today i wandered into a local store that sells salvaged/restored houseparts. it’s a conglomeration of several buildings, including a big warehouse, crammed with all kinds of crap for your house. and, amongst all the antique doorknobs, radiators, bannisters, and lamps, i found a random shelf of records. was not expecting anything too interesting, but it turned out to be a really nice collection of 70s/80s punk, post-punk, weirdo type stuff. talking heads, xtc, joy division, r.e.m., the damned, pogues, violent femmes, kate bush, peter gabriel, echo and the bunnymen. pychedelic furs, etc.

the guy who runs the store wouldn’t part with a nice copy of dark side of the moon, but he wasn’t familiar with the other stuff. he looked at the XTC lp and said “skylarking? never heard of ‘em.” i ended up getting 5 records for $20:

kate bush - the whole story

xtc - skylarking

violent femmes - s/t

joy division - substance

icicle works - s/t (i was clueless on this one, but the cover, along with the company it kept in this collection, intrigued me)

• I bought that Icicle Works album! They were from Liverpool, a bit similar to the Bunnymen, with big choruses and thunderous drums. They are, unfortunately, forever associated with Smashy and Nicey 80s Radio 1 DJ Mike Read’s bedroom proclivities.

http://archive.classicrockmagazine.com/view/march-2010/93/the-icicle-works

• Picked up the new Bowie, along with Richard & Linda Thompson’s Hokey Pokey. And, in the spirit of the holiday weekend, The Thermals’ The Body, The Blood, The Machine.

I really liked “Birds Fly” (who didn’t?), but beyond that I don’t know any Icicle Works. Was the rest of that album any good?

• I think Love Is A Wonderful Colour was their biggest song here actually. I certainly liked the album as a 15 year-old. Back then I was into U2, Echo & The Bunnymen, Big Country and Simple Minds though, and it was still about six months before John Peel would change my life. I have to say I haven’t listened to the Icicle Works for over 25 years though!

• Well, my record collection holds a 12” single with “Love is a Wonderful Colour” on one side and “Birds Fly” on the other side, so I guess I’m good to go.

• i got a few records from this outfit in the mail the other day: http://matersuspiriavision.tumblr.com/

• bought a bunch of records in New Jersey last weekend, including several at the ever-bizarre Collingwood Auction & Flea Market; stacked in front of me awaiting listening are:

Blowfly, X-Rated

David Allan Coe, Just Divorced

Yes, Close to the Edge

Ronee Blakley, Welcome (which I have on CD, but have enough of a soft spot for that a beat-up one-dollar record is worth it)

but what I’ve just spun several times is

and I’m kinda pleasantly surprised. the first 2 comsat angels albums are postpunk peaks, and the third is good; meanwhile, i have one album from their mid-80s rebranding as synthpop wannabes “the C.S. angels,” and it’s unspeakably wretched, so with that insanely low bar in mind, this comes across as a transitional moment where some of the old intensity is still preserved. there are some abominable moments, but not as many as I’d feared. Nick, you must have an opinion on this album, I’d be interested in hearing it. the re-recorded “independence day” is pretty pointless, but not awful IMHO.

• i took advantage of the 35% off sale at newbury comics last weekend, in celebration of their 35th anniversary.

white fence - family perfume vol 1 and 2 kinski - cosy moments the joy formidable - a balloon called moaning the soft pack - strapped v/a - your victorian breasts the national - high violet the sword - gods of the earth

one or two others i can’t recall right now.

• Popped into Missing Link today. Most of my record buying is done online these days so it was nice to find a few random used things that I wanted but weren’t on my discogs wanted list. The Tarantula record in particular is one of those things I was pleased to come across as I’d never have gone to the effort to track it down.

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• I did end up making a Record Store Day purchase, although I did it today. Got the RSD vinyl reissue box of Jandek’s Waiting for the House, Six and Six and Chair Beside a Window:  alt text

This week I also picked Kacey Musgrave’s Same Trailer Different Park, which is a really great contemporary country album. alt text

• … and today I found a used but pristine copy of this:

alt text

which is the first three albums plus Nico’s first solo Chelsea Girl thing plus some “lost” 1969 recordings, minus Loaded. All in mono except the 1969 tracks. Really the main benefit of it being a mono recording is that I can pretend I want both mono and stereo mixes, and that I’m not just buying things over again that I already have on CD.

Quick, somebody buy something so I don’t end up posting three times in a row here!

• Is that some kind of boxed set? On vinyl? Never heard of it…

I stopped by Greville Street yesterday and scored some bargains (which I will not disclose the price of because you will no longer consider them bargains):

alt text On Pink Elephant, seems original-ish.

alt text

• midnight_augury said: Is that some kind of boxed set? On vinyl? Never heard of it…

It is! It’s a brand new one, from Sundazed.

• That Shocking Blue album is great.

• Got a couple new Bonnie Prince Billy things this week: a double 7” from Bonnie and Marie, which is pretty good and has a great cover of something I recognize but am trying to remember what it is rather than google. But the real discovery is a three-song EP billed as by the Marqis de Tren and Bonny Billy called Solemns. If any of y’all haven’t given up on Mr. Oldham yet, do give this one a steal, I think it’s the best thing he’s done in several years now.

• I love Solemns, too! A very worthy follow-up to Get on Jolly.

• Arlo said: a great cover of something I recognize but am trying to remember what it is rather than google.

I ended up googling it, which was probably a good idea because it would have taken a long time to guess it was from this:

alt text

• img text

a little before my time but i really dig some of the earliest cracker songs i remember. I’m really thinking of getting into their whole earlier albums. Any advice/reminiscing?

• Telephone Free Landslide Victory still holds up as a pretty good record. I never went beyond that one, however.

• I’ll rep for their full-album cover of Tusk too

• midnight_augury said: Telephone Free Landslide Victory still holds up as a pretty good record. I never went beyond that one, however.

Basically that’s what I listened to of theirs, too.

I did pick up the 12” of “Take the Skinheads Bowling” recently.

• I need to cool off on buying records pretty immediately. In the last week or so:

alt text
    Laura Stevenson - Wheel, and ahem her other two albums, too.

alt text
    Laura Marling - Once I Was an Eagle. Because one Laura is not enough. I’m pretty excited about this, though. Ms. Marling ain’t let me down yet.

alt text
    Ashley Monroe - Like a Rose. Because this has been getting good reviews and I like her Pistol Annies stuff.

alt text
    Pistol Annies - Annie Up. Because one Ashley Monroe is not enough.

alt text
    The National - Trouble Will Find Me. Because I am an adult and adults listen to The National.

And then I just got silly and ordered this

alt text
    which I’ve never even heard of but the kids on RateYourMusic seemed to think it was pretty good. Darned internet.

• I can confirm Sackcloth’n’Ashes is pretty good. My favorite 16 Horsepower record remains Secret South, but I think I’m in the minority on that one.

• That’s good. It does sound from the writeups that it would be something I’ll like.

• Op shop finds + new record splurge

Abba

Kristopherson

Vile

The ideal Abba song would have the verse of “Waterloo” with the chorus of “S.O.S.” and I’m pretty sure somebody on here was talking about Kristofferson recently, which caused me to check out this record and whattaya know, it’s pretty darn good.

• Popped into Round & Round records this afternoon. What a fantastic store. One of the best in Melbourne. Haul:

alt text alt text

alt text alt text

alt text

alt text

• My big old-time music discovery of the year has been John Martyn’s Solid Air. Absolutely great hippy rock from a guy who sounds like he would have been great friends with Nick Drake, because he was great friends with Nick Drake. Really worth the listen. So anyway I picked up this live album that came shortly after Solid Air.

Martyn

Also picked up a new odds and sods collection from The Books. Mr. Ink, you should give this a try. On the one hand, it is just odds and sods, but on the other hand, it’s odds and sods from The Books, so the good bits are very good indeed.

Edit: I guess this is an expanded version of the 2006 release with the nearly-the-same title that I never got. This one is over an hour (45 tracks on 4 sides of vinyl), though, where that one was about like 15 minutes. But there is carryover from that, obviously including the elevator piece.

The Books

Also the new Costello/Roots thing. Haven’t made a decision about it yet. I think I like it, but I also think the best song on it is the one that nicks the lyrics from “Pills and Soap”.

Costello/Roots

And then lastly some old Sleater-Kinney.

S-K

• Solid Air is great! My favorite John (and Beverly) Martyn record is Stormbringer! That one is much less jazzy and has more of a Fairport/Pentangle folk rock thing going on. It sports a classic cover as well…

Stormbringer

• I also snagged a copy of Vangelis’ “China” at the charity shop over the weekend. It’s good!

• They had one John & Beverly album at the record hut (not that one, though). But it was $60! Therefore I did not buy it.

I tried his like mid-eighties stuff a couple years back and was left pretty cold, but man, Solid Air is a really great album.

Here, rest of you, it starts off sounding like this:

• Stormbringer is a wonderful record although I’ve never felt any need to follow up further with his stuff. Didn’t she stop making music for a long time after that record?

• I think Beverly dropped out of music pretty much after Stormbringer and Road to Ruin when the record company wanted John to just do solo records…evidently husband/wife duos weren’t cool until Richard and Linda Thompson did it.

• Yes, I took a peak at rateyourmusic, and it looks like she put out one 2001 album after the John & Beverley thing, but that’s it. I haven’t heard anything of hers, either with John or without.

• The sidewalk dollar bin that I regularly walk past had a bunch of unexpected 80s/early-90s international artsy proto-alt-rock the other day, so I picked up Julian Cope’s Saint Julian and the Church’s Gold Afternoon Fix. Can’t say I love either of them, but maybe I’m not in the right headspace for this sound right now. Cope, I only really know from his early-90s LP-trilogy and a mix Davy made a while back; I admire him a lot, but I rarely feel much listening to him. The only Church album I have otherwise is Priest = Aura, which I bought when it came out and have loved since, though I rarely play it because it demands a lot of attention. This one, is smart and sounds good but lacks the depth of mystery that album holds for me.

• Arlo said: Also picked up a new odds and sods collection from The Books. Mr. Ink, you should give this a try. On the one hand, it is just odds and sods, but on the other hand, it’s odds and sods from The Books, so the good bits are very good indeed.

Edit: I guess this is an expanded version of the 2006 release with the nearly-the-same title that I never got. This one is over an hour (45 tracks on 4 sides of vinyl), though, where that one was about like 15 minutes. But there is carryover from that, obviously including the elevator piece.

Yes, great! I have this as part of the A Dot In Time box set actually. But you’ve reminded me I need to listen to The Books again.

books

I wonder what he/they are up to now. I quite liked that first Zammuto album, but not as much as The Books. Their middle two albums were great.

• ADF, that Church LP is a very transitional record and is a bit of a hodgepodge. “Metropolis” is a great single though, and “Grind” is pretty great too.

And is there a better opening line of a record from a band that just had a huge single than

“Hi to all the people that are selling me Here’s one straight from the factory”?

This past weekend I discovered that the back room of Licorice Pie has heaps of $6 LPs so I picked up some Deep Purple, Jethro Tull, Clapton (it’s been a long road, but via Cream, Blind Faith, and Derek and the Dominos I am coming around on Clapton even though he is a cheeseball), and some other quasi-embarrassing vinyl artifacts.

I also recently found a copy of Bobby Brown’s “Don’t Be Cruel” at the charity shop and have been jamming “Roni” on the reg.

This is what happens when you only buy < $10 records in Australia.

• One time when I saw The Church, Kilbey admitted that Gold Afternoon Fix isn’t very good. Arista was pushing for a US hit, they wouldn’t let the band hire John Paul Jones as producer and everyone blamed Richard Ploog, hence all the drum machine parts. Still, I find myself coming back to it from time to time for Metropolis, Terra Nova Cain and Disappointment.

• adf, that Cope record is not a great one. It might, in fact, be the worst one. I seem to remember “Eve’s Volcano” had a pleasant Blur-does-kiwi-pop vibe, and “Planet Ride” was deliciously 80s, but those are the only ones that stand out in my memory.

His other shot at becoming a big 80s pop star, My Nation Underground, was somewhat better, I think.

• i think my favorite Church record is Heyday, but they have some really great ones. After Everything Now This is also fantastic, a full 7 LPs on from Starfish.

• I consider it entirely possible that Prisonshake might be the single most underrated band of the 1990s, though they set themselves up for failure with what it probably the most audacious long-player debut in history, I’m Really Fucked Now, a multiformat box set with 12”, 7”, CD, and cassette—makes Half Japanese’s crazy debut look temperate.

Only 1000 were released, and I just FINALLY scored one. So love this, just dirty, snarling bar-band punk rock in the best possible way, like if all the hype written about the Strokes in 2001 had been true. The 7”—paging GI—is a collab with My Dad is Dead (with which they shared a rhythm section at the time), and frankly not a high point in either group’s catalog, and I haven’t had a chance to play the cassette yet (gonna borrow M’s car and drive around and blast it like I used to do when I was 16), but shelling out 50 bucks for this was the best thing I have done in months.