T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
RIP Jeff Hanneman
  • Last night Jeff Hanneman, founding member of Slayer, passed away. He wrote the first metal song I heard, ‘Seasons in the Abyss’, which I immediately became obsessed by. He wrote ‘Angel of Death’ and ‘Raining Blood’, the bookends to Reign in Blood, an album that changed heavy metal forever. I’m glad to be able to say that I saw him play, and that it was fucking awesome.

Fuck a minute of silence, here’s 29 minutes of remembrance:

• Saw them at the St James in Auckland with you, Diff & Hoshi if I remember corretly. I was expecting a crowds of leather clad guys with tattoo’s and bad attitudes. It was actually a crowd full of leather clad guys with tattoo’s having the time of their lives and screaming like Justin Beiber fans when Slayer came on. One of the most joyous audiences I’ve ever been part of.

• i never did get to see him play on stage, but i did get close to his amp

http://bit.ly/158HJ8B

• “Seasons in the Abyss” was the first Slayer song I heard too—on college radio in 1991 or so. I still love that song, though it isn’t exactly representative of Slayer as a whole. I find myself going back to South of Heaven and Seasons in the Abyss more than Reign in Blood or Hell Awaits these days. And Show No Mercy is highly underrated IMO. Seems like Hanneman wrote almost all of their best songs.

I finally saw them in 99 and although the record they were touring on was sub-par it was still a great show of 90% classic era stuff. I remember Araya’s V-shaped head banging pattern, spotlights on the fretboards during solos, Kerry King’s football jersey, the biggest circle pit I have still ever seen, and sharing a joint with a 40-something hessian before the show. I think System of a Down were opening for them at the time, strangely.

• In a slightly different vein, “Seasons in the Abyss” was the second mp3 I ever downloaded. I played defense in a 12-17 year old parks & rec soccer league, and sang it to myself while mowing down seventh graders. It was good motivation.

I didn’t get to see them until the tour for God Hates Us All, which wasn’t a great record, but the show had a decent setlist. I was 20 at the time, but I was going by myself and I made my dad drive me. I got hit on by some teenage attendees’ dad, saw an extremely bloody man flee from the pit thirty seconds after they started playing, saw and fled from a couple of neonazis, and got sweaty and generally had a great time. The openers were In Flames (fresh off a fairly crummy record and suddenly wearing matching white outfits, but played a few songs I liked) and Soulfly (who I didn’t really watch, but they played the two Sepultura songs I know).

My baby pulled all the Slayer CDs out of the rack the day he died. MAYBE SHE IS PSYCHIC. (No, they are on her level and she just likes wrecking shit.)