T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
  • i can’t find a random thread, so can this be one?

random: i just found out that “annexed” means the exact opposite of what i thought it meant. i must have misread so many things over the years.

• I just checked to see if I had it right, which I did. Phew! Until recently I was one of many people who think “moot” means irrelevant or invalid when in fact it means debatable.

• hmmm, it sometimes kind of does mean “irrelevant”, though. as in, “until we do X, Y is a moot point, so forget Y for now.”

• I just checked multiple dictionaries about this, and each and every one of them says that moot as irrelevant, hypothetical is the by far most common use of the word in American English (the OED has citations for that sense of the word going back to 1807). Moot as debatable, arguable still seems to hold strong in BE, but I wouldn’t be surprise if the other usage became dominant before too long. As anecdotal evidence, I just (entirely randomly, of course) asked an Irishman, who was only familiar with the supposedly American use of the term.

• (double post)

• (double post)

ugh what happened here? It deleted my original post and left the one just saying (double post). I can’t remember what I wrote anyway so it probably wasn’t important.

• Anecdata: I’m American, and I’ve never heard it used as “debatable” before now.

• ditto. Joey from friends first introduced me to the term and I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

• It was from an American that I heard it defined as debatable. Granted, not a linguist or anything. The meaning can be ambiguous when it’s used to shut down a point, in that it often conveys that whatever is moot is irrelevant even if debatable or hypothetical was the intended meaning, and the gist is the same: it isn’t worth discussing.

“Who cares what he would have wanted? He’s dead now, so that’s a moot point.” That could mean a) The dead man’s wishes are irrelevant or b) the dead man’s wishes are debatable, meaning we can’t factor them into our decision and therefore they’re irrelevant and whatever it’s almost 5 in the morning.

• Afraid to say I’ve never heard “debatable” suggested as a meaning for that word, either, though I have certainly witnessed several people misuse/abuse the phrase “moot point” in various ways. Mostly by saying something was a “mute point”, or something like that.

I think until recently you were one of many people who had the correct understanding of the word’s meaning!

:-s

• How reliable is dictionary.com? It gives us both meanings and more.

1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point.
    2. of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic.
    3. Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical.
  • Clearly not reliable at all if it doesn’t back me up!

:-s

• Windows98 said: It was from an American that I heard it defined as debatable. Granted, not a linguist or anything.

Well, this person sounds like quite a pedant.

Pretty sure you’d be hard-pressed to find a dictionary that does not give both meanings.

By the way, this is what my copy of M-W’s Concise Dictionary of English Usage has to say on the matter:

“The adjective moot has a sense that means “open to question; debatable” (and a related sense “disputed”) which causes no real concerns among prescribers of usage. The sense that means “deprived of practical significance; purely academic,” however, makes a few of them uneasy. They know it originated in legal use, and they are reluctant to see the shift into general use as acceptable.”

• Hoshi said: (double post)

ugh what happened here? It deleted my original post and left the one just saying (double post). I can’t remember what I wrote anyway so it probably wasn’t important.

I think the board often detects double-posts and deletes one of them automatically. My guess is that you removed one right at the same time that the board removed the other one. My double post above, for instance, was in fact a triple post - one of the three disappeared on its own within a few seconds of posting, and I edited out the third.

• I’m quite happy with it having both meanings because it means I was right then and I’m right now.

• alex said:

Hoshi said: (double post)

I think the board often detects double-posts and deletes one of them automatically. My guess is that you removed one right at the same time that the board removed the other one. My double post above, for instance, was in fact a triple post - one of the three disappeared on its own within a few seconds of posting, and I edited out the third.

I’ve noticed that if you hit the “Post Comment” button while it’s saving the draft, it shows your message twice as though you double posted, but upon refreshing only one copy of the message is there, so it’s saving correctly, but just displaying it twice for some reason. So if when the second copy shows up, you edit or delete one of them, you’re editing/deleting what is actually the only copy of the message, and thus when you refresh the page only the edited version will be there.

• I’m organising my birthday party and so many of you are the exact people I want there, damn your locations. Girlhuggingchicken.

• “They will soon be gone,” I tell myself with every breath, of the in-laws who have brought their endless screeching fights, their gross smelly dog who shits on the floor, and the boundless negative energy that turns my otherwise lovely partner into a pretty terrible person whenever they’re around.

They will soon be gone.

I fucking hope. Even my poor timid cat is traumatized and hiding in the basement, unwilling to eat unless I coax her through every bite with a soothing voice.

• Wait, they are bringing a dog that shits on the floor to your flat, which is cat territory? No wonder the poor guy is freaked!

Seconding the “They will soon be gone” sentiment, then…

• Good mantra Whit. I went looking for a song it reminded me of on youtube and fell down a wormhole, so you got this instead….

• last night a friend described my aura as pink, white and fluffy on the outside with a hard, solid inner core of clear and green. cool.

• clear and green, at the same time?

• Im imagining a beer bottle wrapped in candy floss.

• yeah i dunno. he said it was layered. It was just interesting because while I am preeetty certain he didn’t actually see that stuff he does know me so his aura interpretations seemed to be more of an abstract way of explaining what he thought of us personally, or how we made him feel in that moment, or something.

• re: whit’s cat situation, which is probably gone

img text

or

img text

(courtesy of all the time I waste on reddit)

• peacocks said: his aura interpretations seemed to be more of an abstract way of explaining what he thought of us personally, or how we made him feel in that moment, or something.

I get the feeling that’s what they usually are. Which I kind of like, and it’s nice when people interpret you in a way that feels right—like when my friend said my aura was a forest green.

• I try to be a tolerant person but I feel like aura reading is where I draw the line

• hahaha yeah

• I was thinking that too, until I heard an interview with a woman with synaesthesia yesterday. She sees people as colours. (some people get colours, or landscapes for numbers or music)

• It recently occurred to me to wonder what it would be like to have synaesthesia and be able to taste music. “Holy crap, Exile On Main Street is delicious!” Or what if bad music tasted good and vice-versa?

• Windows98 said: It recently occurred to me to wonder what it would be like to have synaesthesia and be able to taste music. “Holy crap, Exile On Main Street is delicious!” Or what if bad music tasted good and vice-versa?

Indeed. I’m always surprised at that big kick of wasabe you get from A-Ha’s Take On Me.