T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

David Simon: “There are now two Americas. My country is a horror show.”
  • tl;dr: David Simon STFU

• “I’m utterly committed to the idea that capitalism has to be the way we generate mass wealth in the coming century. That argument’s over. But the idea that it’s not going to be married to a social compact, that how you distribute the benefits of capitalism isn’t going to include everyone in the society to a reasonable extent, that’s astonishing to me.”

• what social compact

what fucking social compact

• go make out with paul krugman

• (who i like, but who also thinks that we can use legislation and safeguards to neuter capitalism — guess what guys! YOU’RE FUCKING WRONG)

• Well that was a pile of incoherence. I can’t make out his solution; end capitalism, but not really? Lol at the idea that capitalism started to be bad and that America started to be an unequal society “about 1980 exactly”. Also way to ignore the racial/gender/sexuality/ability divisions even within wealthy America caused by capitalism.

• Remember when The Wire writing staff published that open letter in Time advocating for jury nullification? More of that, less of this

• Blucas said: Remember when The Wire writing staff published that open letter in Time advocating for jury nullification? More of that, less of this

+1

• While I agree there are some problems at the rhetorical level here, this all sounds generally reasonable to me. The idea that market capitalism creates mass wealth but is amoral and needs to have social constraints forced on it by the state isn’t a controversial one. What are your specific beefs here Jeb?

• I mean he is pretty much just making an argument for good ol Keynesian managed capitalism here. I never really expected David Simon was a hardcore revolutionary type of dude.

• Which is not to say that I agree with him or his politics generally, but I never really did. I think I’m just missing the source of your displeasure

• there’s a whole facebook thread if you’re bored and hate yourself

• pollo said: Which is not to say that I agree with him or his politics generally, but I never really did. I think I’m just missing the source of your displeasure

Yeah, this is sort of why I brought up the jury nullification thing. Simon is great at showing how determined individuals can sometimes eke out meaningful, human-sized victories in the face of the monstrous edifice of American sociopolitical life, and I think that’s actually something that’s really important to get across, especially to Simon’s comfortable liberal audience, for whom being politically engaged means either clicking “share” or protesting.

Buuuuut… he’s never been so great at making sweeping macro-level critiques of our institutions (other than metro PDs, and that shit is fish-in-a-barrel). That’s something he gets way too much credit for.