T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

a thread for your band I guess
  • Edit: since Inko has started a new thread specifically for visual art, this will just be a band/music thread.

We always had a “what your band is up to” thread, so I’m creating one here. Though I couldn’t decide if it should be specific to music or just creative output in general, so I’m leaving that to general consensus.

Anyway, I don’t have a band but I put a bunch of bits and pieces up at http://soundcloud.com/golems

• Mice in Cars are playing at a bar on Saturday. For free. El Josh is coming.

• It’s the truth!

• My band is currently me & my banjo.

First lesson today!

• I found some DVDs with a bunch of old things on ‘em, a lot of stuff I thought that I had lost when my old external hdd crashed, including a lot of Dear Astronaut demos back from when Dear Astronaut was still just me and my guitar. It was interesting listening to it all. Some of it was embarrassing (I couldn’t even bring myself to listen to the really old stuff—I don’t think there’s anyway I could have handled that), and man, I really wasn’t much of a guitarist (I sure had that one strum pattern down!), but I really liked an awful lot of it. It was strange and exciting coming at it all from such a distance, most of it being six or seven years old now, and not listened to in nearly as long.

Here’s a track that I had written for one of those LPTJ comps, or at least I think that’s what it was for: “Men,” by Dear Astronaut. It has me doing my best Jandek. Not really similar to the other stuff I’d been writing, but I like it. I wonder if I could figure out how to play this. I think it’s in standard tuning.

• Myke and Josh - how was the show?

• It was sweet as shit. Mice In Cars rocked my face. There was a freebird cover and lots of equipment got knocked over. Then we drank beers.

• I’m pleased as punch that I got to use that shitty cover of Freebird I’ve had in my back pocket for years now. That was satisfying.

• I’m not in the band ‘cause I’m not in any bands, but Helcaraxe’s Red Dragon is an actual thing now after a couple of years of trying to make it an actual thing, and you can stream the whole thing on bandcamp.

• I made a bandcamp for some of that stuff I found: http://jebebben.bandcamp.com/album/songs-with-no-home

• Yaaaaaay!

• New practice space:

Glory Glory Hallelujah

Speaking of which, anyone have any good, practice, and (most of all) cheap soundproofing techniques?

• People always suggest eggboxes, rugs and thick curtains.

Or putting pads on the drums/playing with brushes and turning down the amps.

• I remember reading (somewhere, a long time ago) that deerhoof started practicing in a kitchen, without amps. It always kind of made sense to me, it seems like working quietly would promote that kind of complex songwriting.

But yeah rugs and curtains are good (and I always heard egg crates but I’ve never really been convinced…) I always just filled the room with as much crap as possible, I remember at one point we had the drums in a corner with a bunch of old mattresses

• alistarr said: Or putting pads on the drums/playing with brushes and turning down the amps.

Not a thing that will happen in a million years

• The space in our basement was the first project done to the house. They put in foam tile flooring and sound-dampening tiles on the ceiling. They jammed extra carpet and eggcrate foam in the gaps between studs in the walls. Carpet on the walls after the drywall went in. I can still hear it all upstairs, but even the death metal band isn’t loud enough that I can’t watch TV. The baby sleeps through it.

The cheapest thing I’ve seen is trashpicked mattresses propped up on the walls, which is kind of gross, but easy to do in a college town at the end of a semester. Really any massive amount of fabric should help.. Jam old clothes, sheets, blankets everywhere.

• Thanks!

• It’s turning into more of an undertaking than I think we realized it was going to be, but we have some good ideas and a couple of good leads

• TNM give me the srength to play guitar loudly and bother everyone in my building for a minute, there are some jams i want to get down

• Hey! Hey guys!

This morning I got invited to join a local band that I dig! They’re called Like Totally! and they do kids’ music (trying not to use that “kindie rock” term). So we’ll never end up in the rock & roll hall of fame, and we won’t be hobnobbing around with the local underground legends, but it’s actually perfect for me, since I’ll get to incorporate being a dad into playing music. I’ve taken Finn to see them before and they’re lots of fun. They even have a record out. There will probably be some aspect of dramatic role-playing/performance involved too, which might be fun. But it’s like…they practice a couple times a month, play every month, and I’ll even get paid a bit. It’s not going to be a huge obstacle for my weekly schedule and since it’s kids’ music, I’m not going to be over my head in terms of being able to play it competently — something I’ve been worried about since my playing & practice time has been drastically reduced over the past couple years.

Here’s their Reverb Nation thing — http://www.reverbnation.com/liketotally

I haven’t played with any of these folks before (though I know one of them socially). It’s been a long time — over 4 years — since I’ve been asked to join an all-new band (that wasn’t assembled from parts of a former band). This is incredibly exciting — I’ve been missing this stuff so much.

• Finally got the carpet up! Still some work to be done, but I think we can actually have band practice again!

• Fitz, looking forward to listening. I love yer stuff, man.

• I am digging “Things That Fly”!

• Thanks so much, that means a lot.

• davy said: Hey! Hey guys!

This morning I got invited to join a local band that I dig! They’re called Like Totally! and they do kids’ music (trying not to use that “kindie rock” term). So we’ll never end up in the rock & roll hall of fame, and we won’t be hobnobbing around with the local underground legends, but it’s actually perfect for me, since I’ll get to incorporate being a dad into playing music. I’ve taken Finn to see them before and they’re lots of fun. They even have a record out. There will probably be some aspect of dramatic role-playing/performance involved too, which might be fun. But it’s like…they practice a couple times a month, play every month, and I’ll even get paid a bit. It’s not going to be a huge obstacle for my weekly schedule and since it’s kids’ music, I’m not going to be over my head in terms of being able to play it competently — something I’ve been worried about since my playing & practice time has been drastically reduced over the past couple years.

Here’s their Reverb Nation thing — http://www.reverbnation.com/liketotally

I haven’t played with any of these folks before (though I know one of them socially). It’s been a long time — over 4 years — since I’ve been asked to join an all-new band (that wasn’t assembled from parts of a former band). This is incredibly exciting — I’ve been missing this stuff so much.

Davy, this is kickass. Iris has 2 requests: “The Unicorn Song” (she knows the Wiggles version) and “The Adventures of Isabel” which is a great Ogden Nash poem put to music by Natalie Merchant on her 2010 album Leave Your Sleep.

I’ve heard each of those songs about 200 times now.

• Congrats, Davy! That’s super awesome!

• So Goon Saloon was all like, “Hey, let’s book a show! That’ll motivate us to work on vocals for sure!” So we booked two shows, one next Friday, and one the weekend after that. We mostly have lyrics, but we haven’t practiced with any vocals yet. So… we’ll see how this goes. We’re planning on 4 more practices before show #1 and another 2 before show #2 so hopefully we can iron this thing out yet.

• The good news is that so far our songs are about the Moon, Lewis and Clark, and a bulldozer, so that’s pretty promising anyway.

• OUR NEW PRACTICE SPACE IS AWESOME

• Hey people who make music—I’ve mentioned my friend’s web tv show The Outs on lptj before, and they are looking for music for their next episode. They’ve gotten a lot of great press/attention, so it might be a good opportunity. You can watch their previous five eps, see what other music they’ve featured, and get their contact info here: theouts.tv

• Hey old friends, whether you’re sitting in a hurricane, a car, a park, or a bed, I think you might dig this new record that my band Bus Gas just released. It’s drone music, sorta pretty and sorta scary. Two tracks, one is called “sex waves” and the other is “ghost bros.”

It was released this morning on SicSic records in Germany as a limited tape release, so if you’re into tapes, http://www.sicsic.de/sicsic038/

You can stream it on the ol’ bandcamp, too. http://bbuussggaass.bandcamp.com

Zone out wit me.

• Hey Aug, are you guys gonna have some copies of that sitting around that I can grab or should I order one from the site?

• Yeah we’ll get a few. I’ll set one aside for you.

• Goon Saloon played our first show tonight, and by all indications it was a wild success. We really scrambled to get our songs ready to go, we wrote the lyrics 2 weeks ago and started singing them at practice last week, and as of yesterday we were still forgetting lines and shit, so we were all a little jittery tonight, but man, for the most part we fuckin’ nailed it and it felt great. Everyone seemed genuinely impressed, and told us we did great, and told me that I should sing more (whoa) and the show was a lot of fun. We played with one of my absolute favorite local bands, maybe one of my favorite bands altogether, McCarthy Trenching, who play fuckin’ sweet ragtime style piano jams, and they played sweet shit and seemed to like us a bunch and everyone had a good time and drank a bunch of beers and a bunch of whiskey and shit yes. I can’t wait to play again next weekend.

• Also, some girl told me she was going to write about me in her diary. Not sure what that means but I guess it’s cool. Is this what it’s like to be a fuckin’ rockstar?

• El Josh! You have entered the erotic dreams of our nation’s youth.

• Fuuuuuck, I can’t wait to write more songs with this band.

• whoa that hat

• I’m sure this was covered elsewhere, but how do I embed soundcloud sounds?

• davy said:  arrrrr

BEST DAD EVER

• Hey Jeb, nice tunes.

• good jams. Bouncy sabbath

• jeb said: I’m sure this was covered elsewhere, but how do I embed soundcloud sounds?

click share then copy the embed link, but you have to uncheck the html5 box first

• Haha, some dude who hasn’t heard Goon Saloon yet described us as experimental rock to a local columnist. If the experiment is squeezing sloppy practices into halftimes of Thursday night football games, then yeah, I guess.

• Pants said:

jeb said: I’m sure this was covered elsewhere, but how do I embed soundcloud sounds?

click share then copy the embed link, but you have to uncheck the html5 box first

Thanks!

• We played our 2nd show tonight. Seemed to go pretty well. Got a lot of compliments and such. We were way looser and our banter was pretty zany as a result. Also, I think Luke was a little drunk because he threw in a lot of quirks in his singing. Was pretty funny. I fuckin’ love being in this band and I can’t wait until we have more than 20 minutes worth of songs.