T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Your favourite music Jan-Jun 2014
  • I’m still waiting in hope of an album that will blow me away this year (Stars Of The Lid, Joanna Newsom and Excepter are all rumoured to have something on the way, so you never know), but I thought I’d round up some of the best things I’ve been listening to. I hope other people can do something too, as I’ve always picked up musical inspiration from people in this community.

In alphabetical order only…

Avey Tare’s Slasher Flicks - Enter The Slasher House

Hectic and stylishly inconsistent funfair-macabre pop from Animal Collective/Dirty Projectors side-project

avey

Bass Clef - Raven Yr Own Worl

Splendid forward thinking dub rave dance excursions

bclef

Beneath = Vobes

Another dance ep from Pan that I’ve played over and over all year

neath

Erik Thielemans - Sprang

Belgian percussion experiments

erik

Fennesz - Bécs

Glitchy static-drenched melodies that reference his watershed 2001 Endless Summer album

becs

Machinefabriek - Dubbeltjes

One of a dozen or so releases, this is one of Rutger’s periodic self-compiling round-up albums for those who missed brilliant stuff like the Hillary Jeffrey tape, Ax and Huiswerk.

mf

Otto A. Totland - Pinô

Beautiful and memorable closely-mic’d piano pieces, reminiscent of Satie and Goldmund.

otto

Powell - Club Music

More trademark crunchy techno punctuated by no-fi vocal samples from Powell

powell

Piiptsjilling - Molkedrippen

Sparse droney improvisation dominated by dribbles of electric guitar and spoken-word Frisian poetry

piip

Pye Corner Audio - Black Mill Tapes Vol.4

Queasy retro electronic collages punctuated with radiophonic ambience from Ghostbox

pye

The Soundcarriers - Entropicalia

Groovy 60s-style psychedelia, also on Ghostbox

sound

Woodbines & Spiders - W & S

The Advisory Circle and Moon Wiring Club hook up to make music for creepy abandoned places

was

• this woodbines and spiders looks really good, thanks for this nick!

• I’ll probably put up something tomorrow although me and Nick will cover some of the same ground. I haven’t bought a lot of new music this year but I can pad it out with 2014 reissues maybe.

• This M.E.S.H ep is great too. Anything PAN puts out really is guaranteed to be excellent. Akkord, Shackleton, Kane Ikin and Claro Intelecto have also released great eps this year that I could have mentioned. Also nice releases from Helm, Janek Schaefer, Iluha, COH, Actress and Marsen Jules…

• Fennesz is also one of my favorites, Here’s a nickinko-style presentation of some others:

C L E A N E R S - Real Raga Shit Vol 1
    cover

Infinity Frequencies - Computer Afterlife
    cover

Leedian - Devil
    cover

Sculpture - Membrane Pop
    cover

Maria Minerva - Histrionic
    cover

copeland - Because I’m Worth It
    cover

anne guthrie - codiaeum variegatum
    cover

Xiu Xiu - Angel Guts: Red Classroom
    cover

Fatima Al Qadiri - Asiatisch
    cover

I probably messed up some of these links

• wow, some intriguing Japanese stuff there - thanks!

• I need to do this - I feel bad about contributing to the general apathy of these forums by not posting, but hang on while it takes me a few hours or days to summon the energy that it takes for me to do any sort of small thing these days!

In the meantime, a strong candidate for earworm of the year:

• I’m glad they put the question mark on at the end there, I was getting nervous about that.

• So far, so good, so what

image Total Control - Typical System

image Nun - Nun

image Dick Diver - New Name Blues

image Thou - Heathen

image Amen Dunes - Love

image SVE - Are We There

I should probably listen more to the new Agalloch, Nux Vomica and White Lung records as well. Not really feeling the indie R&B and soft shoegaze black metal trends that seem to be riding high this year.

• *arcg

Bruno Pronsato Presents Archangel - The Bedroom Slany

I think Killdozer described Pronsato’s excellent last album, ‘Lovers Do’, as “exactly the kind of dance music I can’t stand”, or something like that. But I think that’s a very rare example of the Dozer losing command of his senses as there’s something fascinating about the Villalobosesque fractured microhouse detail of his sounds. This one has bland singing all over it too. It’s great.

https://soundcloud.com/foommusic/bruno-pronsato-presents

• Sarry - Shiva

I think this was actually a 2013 CDR that a got vinyl release just this year. It’s devastating. If you’d like Dead Can Dance if they were a Japanese noise band in 2014 you should check this out.

Howe/Seaman - Minor Distance

I’m not even sure how to describe this - Electro-acoustic sounds arranged whilst the two artists swapped raw recordings of guitar, piano, strings, electronics etc etc - Then put together for this release of semi-ambient strangeness . Stunning. I see this in the same context as the Otto A. Totland album for some reason.

Demdike Stare - Testpressing #5

Devon Folklore Tapes - Volume VI (Theo Brown & The Folklore of Dartmoor)

7 X 7” + DVD boxset. After previous volumes of cassette releases the Folklore Tapes project go all out on a vinyl release. Again the Folklore Tapes produce something of true beauty and depth.

Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestite

Bohren & Der Club Of Gore - Piano Nights

Dark lounge jazz slowed to breaking point.

Alessando Cortini - Sonno

A big surprise out of nowhere. I was cynical about this after hearing he’s part of the current Nine Inch Nails line-up. Noisy yet awfully pretty.

Sleaford Mods - Devide & Exit

Britain getting angry again in a way we haven’t seen in a long time.

Robert Curgenven - SIRÈNE

Organic drone pieces pressed onto dubplates for further expansion via turntables. A quiet monster.

Reissue of the year:

The Group (AKA - Gruppo D’improvvisazione Nuova Consonanza) - The Feed-back

The great weird rock album from 1970 finally gets a reissue - it almost never turned up and when it did it was a $1,000 record. It’s a goddamned masterpiece of avant-garde free-jazz noise defined by funked kraut motorik drum work. Astonishing. To finally have this on my turntable is a wonderful thing.

Above should include also Otto A. Totland, Copeland, Powell & Pan releases as mentioned by others. There’s probably a bunch of stuff I’m missing. I may add more.

• nickinko said: I think Killdozer described Pronsato’s excellent last album, ‘Lovers Do’, as “exactly the kind of dance music I can’t stand”, or something like that. But I think that’s a very rare example of the Dozer losing command of his senses as there’s something fascinating about the Villalobosesque fractured microhouse detail of his sounds. This one has bland singing all over it too. It’s great.

I tried. I really did. But I think he’s, just by a little bit, on the wrong side of the Ibiza line for me. Maybe I’ll try again. In fact I will. I will do so on my upcoming four day weekend. I’m not promising anything though Mr ink.

• hehe “wrong side of the ibiza line”

• I’m listening to sarry now, it’s great

• Are you sure that’s not Bobby Gillespie in a dress? I’m suspicious.

• Ha, that TOTALLY looks like Bobby Gillespie in a dress.

• Owen Pallett, St. Vincent, Hospitality, Wye Oak, Swans.

• Two Knights - Shut Up

Frameworks - Loom

Tinariwen - Emmaar

Jeff Ballard Trio - Time’s Tales

Currently listening to the Bohren & Der Club Of Gore thing mentioned by Killdozer above. Very cool. Kinda puts me in mind of the Twin Peaks soundtrack.

• YG - My Krazy Life, G-Side - GzIIGodz, Young Thug and Bloody Jay - Black Portland

• I still don’t really see what y’all see in most of Young Thug, but I like Black Portland a lot.

• Parker Millsap’s self-titled album is fantastic folk/blues, it might be my favourite of the year so far. Miranda Lambert’s Platinum is solid. The new charisma.com is fun Japanese dance rap, she’s a better rapper this time around. I really like Ratking and I think I’m warning up to the new Shabazz Palaces. Sturgill Simpson’s Metamodern Sounds in Country Music is nearly as awesome as its title. Lydia Loveless’ Somewhere Else is also great.

• Gonna be hard to beat this one for my song of the year.

• Agreed!

• Yeah, Courtney Barnett is great. I went to her EP release show last year and she said it was her first show in Melbourne where she didn’t personally know every person in the crowd.

Check out Dick Diver and Boomgates is you all are into some charmingly homespun music from Melbourne.

• Ha! I will!

I saw her in June, here (aka Really Far From Melbourne), she rocks harder than I had expected from the EPs. I expect she didn’t know anybody in the crowd at all.

• Totally more rocking. I’m a little wary that subsequent recorded music will be more influenced by the live show at the expense of some of the more intimate songs like “Anonymous Club” or “Odetta”.

• Pye Corner Audio have been Lords of the Universe this year, and the new ep, ‘The Black Mist’ keeps up the impeccably high standards. For someone whose musical DNA is hardwired on the gurgling, blocky synth pioneering of early 80s artpop like Human League, Japan and Soft Cell, this sort of sophisticated and ambiguous reimagining of what electronica can be manages to be faithfully nostalgic and excitingly new at the same time. If I had my way, daytime top 40 shows on fringe TV channels would be free of bosom-propelled girls who aren’t allowed to wear cardigans and instead full of this sort of stuff.

• I dig that Courtney Barnett song too, by the way!

• Hey, somebody’s else is digging that Jeff Ballard Trio record! It’s fantastic. Been listening to it a lot, in addition to the new Brian Blade Fellowship album (which I think is a bit better) and the new Bad Plus (which is not as much fun). Jazz!

• Arlo said: Parker Millsap’s self-titled album is fantastic folk/blues, it might be my favourite of the year so far.

Thanks for that recommendation, Arlo, I’ve been listening to that a bunch of times in the meantime and am digging it quite a bit too!

I’ve also checked out the Sturgill Simpson album and liked what I heard - I ordered it the other day, so I look forward to giving it a more thorough listen once it arrives.

• Bass Clef’s Raven Yr Own Worl keeps coming back as my favourite EP of this year, but the past fortnight I’ve been listening to the Avey Tare album and Robyn Hitchcock’s new one.

• Glad you like them, alex.

Also, hi! I’ve missed ya.

• I’ve had mixed reactions to previous BB Fellowship albums (although I’m a big fan of his drumming) but I’ll give the new one a listen. And I tend to like the Bad Plus better live than on record, but there are some exceptions so I guess I’ll check out their new one too when I can. Thanks for the heads up!

davy said: Hey, somebody’s else is digging that Jeff Ballard Trio record! It’s fantastic. Been listening to it a lot, in addition to the new Brian Blade Fellowship album (which I think is a bit better) and the new Bad Plus (which is not as much fun). Jazz!

• The new BB Fellowship record has sort of a cheesy 80s atmosphere about it, so your mileage may vary, but that’s one of the things I like most about it.

• It was about what I expected. Accomplished and pleasant, but kinda fades into the background for me. Kinda digging the new Bad Plus, though.

• I think the only album from this year that has really stuck with me is Deep Fantasy.