T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

What should I carbonate?
  • So I’ve got my DIY carbonation rig, a big ol’ tank of CO2 and plenty of bottles to use for it. But having carbonated a bunch of fluids I’d had in my fridge (I’m currently drinking a carbonated grapefruit-juice-and-chardonnay), I feel like I need some new suggestions.

WHAT SHALL I CARBONATE, MY DAMIES?

• iced coffee

EDIT: I think hot things don’t hold carbonation well, right? Otherwise I would have said hot coffee.

• red wine

• What would happen if you carbonated a drink that was already carbonated? Would the world explode?

Maybe carbonating Pom would make it more appealing. It’s so heavy on its own.

• Try carbonating some solids

• The salient question here is what shouldn’t you carbonate. And I think the answer is nothing. Get ready for carbonated cat food, Caliban and Thunder!

• iced tea
    carrot juice

• What would happen if you carbonated a drink that was already carbonated?

Sadly, there’s only so much dissolved CO2 a drink can hold before it maxes out. I was hoping to make some kind of plasma.

Try carbonating some solids

I was actually thinking about carbonating some watermelon pieces! I’ve heard apple and orange slices are good, too.

• Aw yeah!

• did someone already say milk? if not, milk.

yogurt. ice cream.

• did someone already say milk? if not, milk.

Way the heck ahead of you! I’ve been drinking carbonated versions of “The Gregory” cocktail a lot lately (milk and everclear)

• holy crap that sounds disgusting. I’d try it though.

• Carbonate EVERYTHING

alternately: Negronis.

• Carbonated Campari actually sounds kind of good.

Additionally: whiskey rum Thai iced tea

• Antero and pollo: right on

• Man, I do miss Antero.

• I just made a carbonated version of cucumber lassi/ayran/dugh/whatever your culture calls it:

2 cups yogurt

1 cup cold water

4 ice cubes

pinch of cumin

1 tsp salt

1 large cucumber

throw it all into the blender, then carbonate at 45 psi.

REFRESHING AS HECK

• Damn. I could straight up deal with that concoction, Nog.

• Oh wow, that sounds great. As does the watermelon. did you do that one? How did it go?

• Not yet! I was gonna do it last night, but we got caught up in ice-cream-making instead!

• Carbonated ice-cream?

• I was thinkin’ the same thing.

• Sadly, there’s only so much dissolved CO2 a drink can hold before it maxes out. I was hoping to make some kind of plasma.

Still need to know what would happen if you carbonated kombucha. It’s not artificially carbonated to start with, but it is somewhat fizzy.

• That sounds terrifying to me!

• Carbonated Doenjang Chigae!

alt text

• So I had about a cup of pickle juice from making alexandra’s pickles, and thought, “Oh! I could mix them with whisky and have a kind of pickleback cocktail!”

And then, naturally, I realized I could carbonate that.

The result is… interesting. I can’t say that I see this selling like hotcakes across the US.

• Boy oh BOY would I buy a pickle soda like hotcakes. Pickle juice, a little sugar, and carbonate? I want this.

• coldforge said: Boy oh BOY would I buy a pickle soda like hotcakes. Pickle juice, a little sugar, and carbonate? I want this.

Word

• maybe i’ll try it again without the whisky, then!

I made a carbonated bloody mary today, and it was fascinating how different it tasted!

• Bloke suggests that you shoulda made your cocktail with vodka instead of whisky. or put it in yr bloody.

• what sort of setup do you have to carbonate? is there a website or something you used to set it up?

• A C02 tank, a regulator, a tube, and a valve! Identical to this set-up.

• oh, cool! pretty much identical to set ups i’ve used for beer.

• Have you carbonated gravy yet?