Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
  • So, if you aren’t convinced that Louie is absolutely unlike anything that’s ever been on TV, that it’s new and revolutionary, please seek out last night’s season finale. Absolutely incredible, the way it shifts tone and focus, but in an absolutely organic way, moving through a wide range of emotions, at turns joyous, frustrated, forlorn, and shocking. In general, I wasn’t feeling that this season was as strong as the first two, despite some high highs, but I’m sort of re-evaluating that now. This episode was definitely among the series’ bests, in terms of writing, performance, direction, and humanity.

• the start of the episode was amazing, and i loved the letterman arc before it. i remember almost laughing at the suddenness of the parker posey scene - i know it was supposed to feel jarring, but for me it made the episode lose some of its immersiveness.

having said that, when i think about how much was crammed in to twenty-five minutes, with that perhaps being the only scene that felt rushed, it’s really quite amazing. i find it funny that he got this show by being a comedian, and fx presumably wanted the show to be just that, a 25 minute sitcom, and he’s just taken it and created whatever the fuck he wanted.

with regards to amy poehler, i remember hearing him say something like “each episode has a goal, and that if that screws up the goals for the other episodes, well, i just don’t care”. it’s such a bizarre and fascinating approach to a television show, to constantly change actors and characters, but it works.

• I love that show. Louis CK is fucking brilliant. shhh haven’t seen the newest season. Spoiler alert!

• The last episode of season three was excellent. I couldn’t believe where it went and how seamlessly. The guest spots this season were off the charts the whole way through. Can’t wait to see where he goes next.

• I watched a few more episodes from the second season a couple weeks ago and liked it more than I had previously. Not very funny, though I understand it’s often not really meant to be. Mostly though I just don’t really enjoy spending time with Louie or time inside his head, even if the insecurities and neuroses are occasionally familiar. I do like all the on-location shots of NYC and how the show seems interested in capturing something of the texture of life in the city, though. Maybe I’ll get around to checking out the latest season and see if it elevates in my estimation at all.

• Huh. Double post. Is there a way of deleting posts?

• I haven’t watched the most recent episodes, but episode 0308’s almost-fender-bender scene is probably the single most Boston thing that has ever been committed to film.

• I really feel like I should watch through this season again. Hell, maybe even just watch through the whole show again. But this season could definitely use another viewing, since a lot of the episodes didn’t really click for me, not fully, at least.

• The way people talk about Louie makes me interested, but I’m afeared that I’ll be of the same opinion as pollo.

• “Not very funny” is about right, in a manner of speaking. If you tend to laugh at things that are “not funny,” you’ll love Louie. I was instantly engaged the first time I watched it, but I can see how others might not be entertained at all. Give it a try!

• I know that “this isn’t funny” is about the most facile criticism someone could offer of this show, but that was also the element I was counting on drawing me in (if anything was going to). All of the thinly fictionalized hyper-personal stuff doesn’t really do much for me, I guess.

• It’s the absurdism that hooked me! Oh, and also the willingness to experiment (and the ease with which the show pulls it off) with the way episodic television is supposed to work, particularly re: structure

• I think that describing the other stuff as thinly fictionalized and hyper-personal, while accurate, kind of misses the point? But then saying that I realize I’m not really able to articulate what The Point is, so fuck it

• I don’t really have any interest in the way episodic television is supposed to work, I just think mortality and discomfort are humorous subjects (done the right way), so Louie just happens to tickle my particular funnybone. I’m not sure if pollo is referring to Louis C.K. or his audience with the thinly fictionalized and hyper-personal bit, but for me as a viewer he does manage to probe areas of my personality that might be funny under the guise of fiction.