T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

Anybody else reading The Passage (trilogy)?
  • The Passage

http://enterthepassage.com/

Holy cow, guys. I ordered this book for my library because I heard a sequel (The Twelve) was coming out in October and I figured it was going to be big. Well, it is going to be big, but my patrons can all go sit on their thumbs for a while because I’m reading it first. I spent the past — oh 3 weeks or so reading The Passage and I haven’t had that much fun with a novel in years. It’s a hefty tome (750+ pages) about a government military experiment gone wrong — virus»vampires»apocalypse, etc — but it’s written by a dude whose previous work was fairly highly regarded literary fiction. So what I’m saying is, you don’t have to cringe while you’re enjoying yourself. And if, like me, post-apocalyptic fiction makes your heart flutter in your chest, you will enjoy yourself. (You may be relieved to hear that it’s not as sublimely depressing or as high-minded as The Road, so you’re allowed to smile once in a while.) Combine Stephen King’s sense of narrative with the agile, easy-going voice of somebody like Steve Almond or Paul Auster and you’re getting the idea. Fast-paced, epic scale (The Passage has a 100-year arc), great characters, clean and occasionally arresting prose … plenty of thrills.

The Twelve comes out in two weeks. I can’t wait. I actually looked up the dates on his book tour to see if he was coming through Atlanta. I never do that!

• post-apocalyptic fiction makes your heart flutter in your chest

well hello now!

I’m reading a stunningly bad book at the moment, so maybe I’ll use The Passage to clear the palate.