T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
New TV & Movie in general thread
  • Watched the most recent Doctor Who and am full of sad.

• I keep meaning to get caught up with that show

• I haven’t watched Dr Who for several seasons now…I’m sorry to say that, having grown up with the original, the re-boot never really did it for me - though the weeping angels are the closest contender for a good scary Dr Who monster. Seriously - another generation is now as scared of something as we were of the Daleks and Cybermen.

To change tack - is Boardwalk Empire worth looking at? I caught a few minutes last night and didn’t want to get snared, as it was bed time, but…Steve Buscemi….

• I never really watched the old Dr. Who, for no good reason ‘cause I was a sci fi geek child. I’ve liked the reboot, although I’m only up to last season, if this one’s started.

I am going to give this Last Resort thing a try tonight. This is very strictly a reflection of the fact that Andre Braugher is awesome. And in related (Homicide-related) news, has anyone watched Copper?

• Arlo, the Last Resort pilot was good-not-great, but Braugher was, of course, excellent, and there was a lot of potential. I haven’t watched the second episode yet but it’s downloaded and ready to go. I know a lot of critics are saying it’s the new show they are most excited about. Hopefully it lives up to the hype.

What’s Copper?

• Copper is Tom Fontana’s new show. I guess it’s set in New York, I don’t know a hundred years ago maybe. I haven’t seen any of it, but the poster at my subway stop says Tom Fontana/Barry Levinson on it, so I am going to give it a try.

• I will definitely do the same then!

• Watched the Last Resort pilot. I’d agree. It’s been a while since I’ve watched a straightup contemporary big network show, though, and I’d kinda forgotten how much more care is taken with making the actors’ eyebrows look good than with making the script sound good. I am going to watch the next one now, though, so it’s good enough to be worth another couple episodes anyways.

• DCDave said: Watched the most recent Doctor Who and am full of sad.

Four of us watched it, and two of us were in tears at the end. I was one of them. But I was only crying because Ellie was, not because I’m a great, big, soppy emotional wreck of middle-aged sentimentality. Oh no.

• It was so, so sad. What the hell, Doctor Who. What the hell.

• I finally saw Citizen Kane. As has been mentioned more than once, it contains the greatest room-trashing scene in cinematic history.

• I liked the second episode of Last Resort rather a lot.

I’ve had Homeland and Enlightened sitting on my hdd for months but haven’t had the time to start either. Are they worth it?

• I like Homeland a lot. They go pretty heavy throwing out red herrings but not to the ridiculous extent of something The Killing. Obviously the acting is top notch and the script well written. Definitely worth your time.

I watched one episode of Enlightened and found it unbearable but entirely due to personal taste rather that any objective faults in acting or production values etc.

I’ve got the second episode of last Resort here. I liked the pilot OK. It was pretty damn ropey in places but I’ll stick with it for at least a few episodes.

• I just watched a bunch of Don’t Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23. Woman moves to New York from the midwest, moves in with Breakfast at Tiffany’s Audrey Hepburn, if Audrey Hepburn’s best friend were Dawson from Dawson’s Creek. It’s actually pretty funny. Several left-field lines.

• Wait, did they did use “Bitch” in Canada, or are you being chartiable?

But yeah, that show’s kind of all-over-the-place, especially, weirdly, re: how much one ought to trust the B in Apartment 23. Sometimes she’s a just horrible person a la Always Sunny or something, but other times she Grows and Learns Important Lessons, and the show suffers from a lack of a consistent comedic voice.

It generally feels like there’s probably two really funny people in that writers’ room who occasionally win out, but would probably be better off writing for an FX show. But Krysten Ritter is winning in that role (hai pollo), and the stuff with Van der Beek playing a (maybe) douchier version of himself never gets old.

• Yeah, it feels like it’s supposed to be a fairly straightup odd couple TV sitcom, but then there (actually quite a lot of) these weird moments. I kinda like how the weird moments don’t fit very well with the more sitcommy stuff.

• you know what’s still surprisingly great? new girl

• I wrote about this at length a couple times at LPTJ, but yeah, it’s a really good show. Once the writers figured out that A) they could be skeptical of the whole Deschanel Thing while still capitalizing on it, and that B) Jake Johnson is probably the one who should be doing the real heavy lifting, it really hit its stride. I do sort of worry that it could go off the rails any episode now, though, especially re: Schmidt. Please don’t make me start to hate Schmidt, writers. Still, the fact that he’s the potential crutch and not Deschanel is a victory of sorts.

• this isn’t really tv. more like radio. But I listened to the Tig Notaro standup louis ck had on his website and dang. dang dang dang it was really good. I cried and laughed about equally.

• Apparently there’s a stock photo from a model shoot 15-year-old Antero was a part of.

Apparently someone thought it was perfect for “Twerp From The Model UN.”

• Oh my goodness! That is kinda priceless. You looked very put-together at 15!

• ANTERO THAT IS AWESOME

• Hahaha, I’d just watched this while eating lunch, and of course I had no idea. That is great!

• haha holy shit

• Does anyone else watch adventure time? I cried my eyes out at the end of this weeks episode. Such a good show.

• i have watched it but not the new episodes! I should, huh.

• this season is the best season.

• I know bethany, that was about the saddest episode ever! It was a funny coincidence because I had just re-watched the Christmas episode with Ice King’s videos, and also my wife and I were wondering whether the two of them knew each other.

This season has definitely been the best, if just for the episodes with Magic Man and Lemongrab.

• I missed last night’s, but have been enjoying this season immensely. I’ve rewatched the BMO story from “Five Short Graybles” like five or six times now.

• Lemongrab! Yeah, the Ice King and Lumpy Space Princess have become my favorite characters, which was not the case in the early episodes. Since I have been unemployed lately all I do is go for long walks, re-watch my favorite adventure time episodes and replay old final fantasy games.

• ONE MILLION YEARS DUNGEON

• I just watched CREEPSHOW! Really fun movie! I’m gonna have nightmares about the last story, I just know it. :shudder:

• next on my list are suspiria and night of the hunter both of which I’ve seen but I keep trying to convince people to watch them with me and I have this reputation for liking “old, boring” movies and you know they just don’t understand.

• I convinced Evan to watch the pilot of Friday Night Lights with me last night, and to my surprise and delight, he liked it (he refers to the Packers as the Green Bay American Football Packers and has zero interest in football and I dunno, I was worried that the ten-minute game at the end would turn him off or something). The question I am posing is: If we get into watching this, should we just skip Season 2 entirely?

• peacocks said: next on my list are suspiria and night of the hunter both of which I’ve seen but I keep trying to convince people to watch them with me and I have this reputation for liking “old, boring” movies and you know they just don’t understand.

definitely invite people to see an old boring movie and put on suspiria

• Night of the Hunter is pretty great though. I just watched another old Robert Mitchum flick, Out of the Past, which was also excellent.

• does he have a lot of “X of the X” movies ?

• riders of the deadline
    west of the pecos
    night of the hunter
    out of the past
    river of no return
    track of the cat
    brotherhood of the rose

out of two very long coloumns of movies listed on wikipedia so no, not really. but one of his movies was called The Lusty Men! he’s got some good ones.

• Oh man, I’m late to the Adventure Time discussion, but I JUST WATCHED THE MARCELINE/ICE KING EPISODE LAST NIGHT AND IT WAS !!!!!!!

When you said you cried, I knew at once that must be the episode you were talking about.

I am proud to say that I was with Adventure Time from the very beginning. It’s my favorite show on television, no doubt.

• I’m not sure what we’re up to for Halloween, but if my lady and I are going to a party thrown by her friends, I may continue pushing for us to be Fiona and Marshall Lee from the genderswap episode.

• my bf does not want to be the t rex to my dr. malcolm :(

• How bout em Downton Abbey

• peacocks said: I just watched CREEPSHOW! Really fun movie! I’m gonna have nightmares about the last story, I just know it. :shudder:

Was the last one The Raft? Cuz I’ve had some slime nightmares in my time.

• sarah said: I convinced Evan to watch the pilot of Friday Night Lights with me last night, and to my surprise and delight, he liked it (he refers to the Packers as the Green Bay American Football Packers and has zero interest in football and I dunno, I was worried that the ten-minute game at the end would turn him off or something). The question I am posing is: If we get into watching this, should we just skip Season 2 entirely?

Yes, just skip season two.

• JimTheBeerGuy said: Night of the Hunter is pretty great though. I just watched another old Robert Mitchum flick, Out of the Past, which was also excellent.

Out of the Past is amazing, eh. I saw a thing that Goblin are playing a live soundtrack to a screening of Suspiria in Melbourne. God that would be incredible to see.

• So for some reason I decided I was going to watch some Cronenberg movies. Yesterday I watched Crash and Scanners, and today I’ve got Spider (which I’ve technically seen before but I don’t remember at all) and ExistenZ (yo I can not take that title seriously) in front of me.

• I saw spider in theaters, it was aight. super creepy! I might like it better now because I was probably 17 when I saw it first? I’ll either appreciate it more now or think it’s dumb. I think I was into way darker more angsty stuff back then. there’s no way of knowing.

• pollo said: How bout em Downton Abbey

I was watching that latest episode while I was sick earlier this week, and I’d like to pretend that the only reason why I was getting all emotional was because of my cold.

The week before that, I somehow managed to coax S. into watching it with me, which was kind of entertaining. He was surprised at how soapy the whole thing was. I was surprised that he ever thought it was anything but a soap opera in period costumes.

Anyway, this weekend we watched all 6 episodes (3 before going to bed on Saturday night, 3 after getting up on Sunday morning) of the BBC political thriller The State of Play. There were some slightly questionable plot devices, and a completely unconvincing plot twist at the very end, but it was still 6 very entertaining, addictive and gripping hours of television.