T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Cooking Thread - Non-Lil’ B Edition (For Recipes)
  • Starting, at MoS’ request, with Greg’s chicken pot pie. I haven’t figured out quoting here yet. So, here goes. Sucked straight from the legacy thread “To get tasty thing out of oven, you must put tasty thing into oven.”

Greg Nog said: FUCK! It’s on my home computer! I’m posting from my sister’s up in NH. Hold on, maybe she’s got it here.

OH DAMMMMN IT’S HERE

It’s different from mine by a little, but the recipe basically goes like:

6 T. butter 1/2 c. chopped onion/scallion (I use red onions) 1/2 c. flour 1 t. salt 3 c. chicken broth 3 c. cubed cooked chicken (usually I’ll just slice the chicken into little shreds and boil it in the pot of broth while I’m doing the butter/flour thing. Three cups is what, two? three breasts? Something like that; it ain’t a science) 1 10 oz. package frozen peas & carrots, thawed (I myself usually use a mixture of peas, carrots, corn and stringbeans ground black pepper and salt to taste (I use a whole lot)

1. Melt butter and cook onions in butter until tender and translucent, over medium-high heat.
    2. Blend in flour and salt. Turn down heat a bit and stir to make a big gooey mass. Do this for like five minutes or so.
    3. Add stock and chicken, cook until thick and bubbly.
    4. Add veggies and pepper. I usually just throw ‘em in frozen, ‘cause they thaw right quick anyway.

So you’ll have a big pot of chicken-pot-pie-filling. I usually make a double-batch, ‘cause it freezes really well. Put it in a pie crust or spoon over biscuits or toast or English Muffins or whatever. Often, I just eat in straight from the bowl, because it is super delicious.

• Hooray! I will make that soon.

I also want to try this: http://www.chow.com/recipes/30493-perfectly-melting-cheese

…I think I’ve finally found a reason to acquire an immersion blender. I am going to melt ALL the cheeses.

• I’ve also had good cheese-melting results using this method on Serious Eats (That link is to the sciency part of it but you can click through to the recipe )

• That one’s a little simpler — maybe I’ll have to have a cheese-sauce-off.

The internet is continuing to show me delicious unhealthy things I want to eat: http://bakeitinacake.com/recipes/cremebruleecupcakes Yes, it’s a cupcake with creme brulee inside it.

• Minimum 2 ingredients, right? Go:

1kg lamb (or hogget or mutton) shoulder, cubed
    200g black olive paste

Combine in a casserole, cover and cook for 2hrs at 150c/300f, while sipping pastis. Serve with crusty bread/rice (Camargue red is nice).

(I’ve also tried it with a rack of lamb, for a more ‘dinner party’ result. Adjust cooking time.)

• Oo! That sounds great!

• That’s 3 ingredients with the pastis.

I haven’t made lamb in a long time, but I’ll have to give that a try — sounds great!

• milesofsparks said: That’s 3 ingredients with the pastis.

The pastis is more utensil than ingredient!

• Made saag paneer and naan from scratch last night, Cooks Illustrated has a really great recipe that allows you to do the latter without a tandoor but still have it turn out the same. I recommend it.

• You don’t have the recipe in digital format, do you?

• i would be interested in that recipe!

• Oh, Canadians!

My ladyfriend recently was talking about she loves Tiger Tail ice cream, but while it’s common in Canada, apparently it’s hard to find ‘round here. So we found this recipe, and made it. It’s very good! The licorice-and-citrus taste also goes really well with one of my favorite cocktails, the Ouzo and Grapefruit Juice.

• Y’all know I have your back. Here’s that cooks illustrated recipe:

MAKES 4 PIECES
    This recipe worked best with a high-protein all-purpose flour such as King Arthur brand. Do not use nonfat yogurt in this recipe. A 12-inch nonstick skillet may be used in place of the cast-iron skillet. For efficiency, stretch the next ball of dough while each naan is cooking.

INGREDIENTS
    1/2cup ice water
    1/3cup plain whole-milk yogurt
    3tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1large egg yolk
    2cups (10 ounces) all-purpose flour
    1 1/4teaspoons sugar
    1/2teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast
    1 1/4teaspoons salt
    1 1/2tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

INSTRUCTIONS

1. In measuring cup or small bowl, combine water, yogurt, 3 tablespoons oil, and egg yolk. Process flour, sugar, and yeast in food processor until combined, about 2 seconds. With processor running, slowly add water mixture; process until dough is just combined and no dry flour remains, about 10 seconds. Let dough stand for 10 minutes.

2. Add salt to dough and process until dough forms satiny, sticky ball that clears sides of workbowl, 30 to 60 seconds. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth, about 1 minute. Shape dough into tight ball and place in large, lightly oiled bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 16 to 24 hours.

3. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Place heatproof plate on rack. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface and divide into 4 equal pieces. Shape each piece into smooth, tight ball. Place dough balls on lightly oiled baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart; cover loosely with plastic coated with vegetable oil spray. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Transfer 1 ball to lightly floured work surface and sprinkle with flour. Using hands and rolling pin, press and roll piece of dough into 9-inch round of even thickness, sprinkling dough and work surface with flour as needed to prevent sticking. Using fork, poke entire surface of round 20 to 25 times. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Wipe oil out of skillet completely with paper towels. Mist top of dough lightly with water. Place dough in pan, moistened side down; mist top surface of dough with water; and cover. Cook until bottom is browned in spots across surface, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip naan, cover, and continue to cook on second side until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. (If naan puffs up, gently poke with fork to deflate.) Flip naan, brush top with about 1 teaspoon melted butter, transfer to plate in oven, and cover plate tightly with aluminum foil. Repeat rolling and cooking remaining 3 dough balls. Once last naan is baked, serve immediately.

• That is indeed the recipe. There’s also a quick-version where you let it rise at room temp over two hours, folding it every half hour, rather than overnight in the fridge (and is otherwise the same), that’s the way I did it

• I know we don’t want wholesale piracy of shit around here, but I got a cooks illustrated dot com membership, yo, if anybody wants to get, like, the Cadillac of some Food Recipe.