T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
movie thread for movies and not TV
  • I watched Godard’s Made in U.S.A. last night. I have now seen that one, Alphaville, and Sympathy for the Devil—admittedly probably not the best trio of films to start with, but still Godard is incomprehensible. Good looking film, though.

• even as someone who probably considers Godard the greatest living filmmaker, I’d agree that Made in USA and Sympathy are fairly mediocre (though each possessed of its moments, definitely). I love Alphaville, though—the defamiliarized city, the genre-riffing, Anna Karina…what’s not to love? (okay, maybe the gender politics. but that’s most of pre-70s Godard really).

• What’s another good one? The library has Aria, Band of Outsiders, Breathless (hey, I hear that’s a good one!), La chinoise, Une femme mariée, Le gai savoir, Masculin féminin, Paris vu par, Vivre sa vie, Week End, and A woman is a woman.

To be fair, I saw Alphaville a long time ago and probably shouldn’t trust my early impressions either. I pretty much just remember the swimming pool scene. I may have fallen asleep.

I did appreciate Anna Karina in Made in the U.S.A. and also the bar scene with the proletarian working class dude drinking wine and smoking (though I wished Marianne Faithful would have stopped interrupting things by singing “As Tears Go By”).

• oh man I finally got around to finishing We Are The Best and the scene where they played a show at a rec hall in Västerås was The Best.