T·N·M

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Tagged

Right Here In The Middle - NOW PLAYING
  • Yeah, the later stuff took a while to sink in. I started on First and Last and Always, then slowly started getting into Floodland after writing it off (shoulda hung on to that vinyl copy!) and now I’ve started simultaneously digesting Vision Thing and the early EPs.

Embrace the cheese factor, my friend!

• Not sure how I missed this last year, but it’s a cracker from the always intriguing DTB

dtb

• loop So much Loop lately.

• Anyone else still miss Jason Molina?

• I recently picked up my guitar again and restrung it and started playing more regularly, and in fact for the first time in my life I bought a capo entirely so I could start learning Jason Molina songs (‘cause the tabs I found for my 2 favorite songs of his both used a capo) so yeah I guess you could say I’m still missing him :)

• Which two songs? I’m guessing Two Blue Lights and Captain Badass?

• Good guess! Captain Badass and I’ve Been Riding With a Ghost actually.

• I’ve been doing this surprisingly fun thing where I updated an Excel file of my entire record collection and pick one record using random.org whenever I don’t know when to listen to - this has resulted in revisiting a lot of records I hadn’t listened to in a long time, with sometimes surprising outcomes: I was so bored by The Delgados’ Great Eastern that I considered selling my copy before realizing it was practically worthless anyway, but right now The Ideal Crash by dEUS is sounding awfully excellent (I don’t know why, but I expected to like the former better by now)

• nice to see people in this thread!

This new Kane Ikin album is pretty great

• Deep Purple

On a pretty heavy Deep Purple/Rainbow/Dio-era Sabbath kick.

• I’m on a serious Bert Jansch/wide ranging folk and blues exploration at the moment, and came to this album by one of Jansch’s most frequent 60s collaborators/housemates, John Renbourn.

When I’m near our turntable I pretty much have Jack Orion on constant rotation at the moment, though. It’s worked some strange spell on me and I can’t seem to get free of that recurring little three-chord motif that snakes through half the songs.

• Good jams. I was on a bit of a Jansch kick myself a few months ago. Especially L.A. Turnaround, which was one that I never was exposed to for one reason or another.

• That’s next on my list, funnily enough!

• In a bit of a coincidence, although I don’t really know much about him, just after reading this thread my Twitter feed threw up a link to a Quietus article on Bert Jansch. In case it’s of interest:

http://thequietus.com/articles/19788-bert-jansch

As for me, I’m reallyt enjoying the new ambient vibe of Benoit Pioulard’s most recent stuff, especially the last 3 singles/eps.

bp

• Thanks for that nick - it took me about half the article to confirm that no, I hadn’t read it before, it’s just that a lot of the quotations are things I’ve read quoted elsewhere in the last few days! Need to dial down my web browsing again I think…

• Definitely, good article.

I noticed that it touches upon fellow Scottish folk musician John (and Beverly) Martyn, who as you probably know is also pretty great.

• Yeah I have a couple of John Martyn albums, I got Solid Air when I was about 16 actually! Before I even really knew folk music was a thing.

Onto Pentangle now - crazy music.

https://youtu.be/l2cBT8—7tA

I can see myself burning a lot of money on records some time soon.

• And onward to Fairport, Sandy Denny’s solo LPs, Fotheringay and Incredible String Band!

I prefer the less jazzy Martyn, personally. Stormbringer is my fave.

• Haha, well Bert Jansch aside I think I kind of started with Fairport - one of my dad’s very favourite records when I was little was What We Did On Our Holidays, and I’ve had his copy since I got a turntable (the beginning of “I’ll Keep It With Mine” is heavily scratched, I think due to numerous late night/post-pub listenings with unsteady hands guiding the needle - his Astral Weeks is basically unplayable for the same reason). I do have Sandy Denny lined up, along with Karen Dalton, more Pentangle and a bit more Renbourn, but I’ve paused to try and give that Radiohead album a fair chance and so I’m pretty much just listening to Jack Orion again at the moment!

No experience with Incredible String Band, so if you have any words of guidance/warning then feel free to direct me.

• The ISB is a little more eccentric than most of the others mentioned, so it kind of depends on your tolerance for multi-part song cycles, prog inclinations, and general twee-ness. Early Tyrannosaurus Rex might be a basic unit of comparison. I would start with The Hangman’s Beautiful Daughter.

Job’s tears is also great—three basic parts to the song, and each one is better than the previous.

• I’m actually reading a Sandy Denny biography currently, and this guy comes up quite a bit early:

According to Bert Jansch, he was more influential than Dylan to the British folk scene. Pretty good stuff.

• Thanks for those - I’ve got that ISB album lined up for a good listen. I’m still working through any number of Jansch-related records, especially Pentangle’s Sweet Child and Basket of Light at the moment, but tonight I put on Anne Briggs having originally got her album as a student and not really got on with it. Some of these songs are just jaw-dropping:

Haven’t tried that Jackson C Frank album yet but will be back!

• Good stuff. I’ve listened to a bit of Anne Briggs, but mostly “The Time Has Come”. I should probably listen to more. Sandy Denny’s Fotheringay song “The Pond and the Stream” is about Anne. According to the lyrics she was the trainhopping crusty oogle of her time, or something like that.

Ever listen to Bridget St John? I love that first record…

NP:

• ab

Abul Mogard Works

This is incredible if true. Made by a 70 year-old Serbian retired factory worker with no previous experience in music, and who wanted to recreate the complex textures and drones of his workplace. It’s absolutely beautiful, reminiscent of The Disintegration Loops in places.

• So the new Pixies track is actually good. Now I’m pointlessly, I’m listening to Indie Cindy again. It’s still the single most disappointing album I’ve ever heard in my life.

• I tried to approach it as if I had no expectations, as if a new band had recorded it in a vacuum, but I don’t think it’d cut it even if that were the case.

• alt text

Picked this up today on a lark. It’s working out well. Good shit.

• More folk guitar. The long bit from around 20 minutes in where it just rolls and rolls and rolls… that’s it.

• Yeah, still obsessing over this Abul Mogard record. Beautiful sounds.

• 2016 is getting serious now. A wow release from Demdike Stare’s label

eq

• some of you might like this one, I think
    https://soundcloud.com/ge-stell/sets/coh-return-to-mechanics-ge-stell-05

CoH- Return to Mechanics

• I AM interested in that, thanks! Though I didn’t really get the last one (MUSIC VOL), which was very lowercase/quiet indeed.